Battery weights

lazza
lazza Solar Expert Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Cant seem to find an answer on the web

If you had a starter battery and a deep-cycle battery of exactly the same dimensions, would the starter battery be alot lighter than the deep-cycle battery?

Similarly, if you had an AGM deep-cycle battery and a normal FLA deep-cycle of the exactly the same dimensions, how much heavier would we expect the AGM battery to be?

Thanks
Larry

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #2
    lazza said:
    Similarly, if you had an AGM deep-cycle battery and a normal FLA deep-cycle of the exactly the same dimensions, how much heavier would we expect the AGM battery to be?

You will have to pick a brand, I know my maker has many detail table Ht, W, D, in mm's as well as weight of cells as well as in a 'unit' ( layer?  within a 12,24 or 48 config.)  AGMs have less H2SO4 than FLA,,,,

frick how do you turn "this formatting" off???

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

A starter battery generally can produce a bit more power for it's weight and size.       A automobile rarely let's it's battery get below 80% charge so automobile batteries are less concerned about durability in deep discharge situations.      Automobile batteries generally also have higher "cranking amps" for starting your car and can put out a higher short burst of energy than a deep cycle battery. 

Deep cycle batteries, whether they are flooded or AGM, tend to have thicker plates in them to allow them to handle deep discharging better.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    For a given amount of lead, you can have greatly varying amounts of surface area.  i.e. fewer but thicker plates versus more plates that are thinner.  More surface area (more plates) means higher discharge rates are possible, but also means shorter life if deep cycled. 

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #5
    All other things being equal, a deep discharge battery for RE operation will have more weight lead per AH of capacity than a starting battery of the same voltage.
    But the AH capacity of that battery may also be lower than the capacity of a starting battery of the same case size. 
    A lot lighter? Depends on how you define that. Possibly 5% to 10%. But that would also be a design choice of the manufacturer.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.