Kill a watt meter

Options
706jim
706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
There appear to be three models of Kill a watt meters, standard EZ and remote. Thinking about buying the EZ model although reviews by users lament the lack of a back lit LCD screen. Which is the best option and are there similar, possibly better products that do the same thing?
Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    There is a standard meter that just displays data. No battery/storage. AC power turns off, data is cleared.

A second model does save the last state. Nice for use with a generator. Also can enter $/kwh for price of energy used. Nice, but I would not pay extra for the function. Bit more of a pain to program/use vs simple unit.

Don't know anything about the remote model.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Bill
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We dont have the kilawatt brand here, but the generic versions available all have a (coincell) battery. Its  a bit of PITA, because it goes flat about every nine months, and it never works just when you need it to.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• JoshK
    JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Options
    I have this one, I don't think more features would be a good thing.

• arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    I have a Blue Planet one and prefer it to the Killawatt which I also have.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I got the Ensupra Electricity Usage Monitor,Watt Meter.
    I am very happy and if I want to I can add a battery to keep the data when I unplug it,
    I am happy with it.
    It goes back and forth between our place and friends and relatives.