New forum software is live - report any errors, bugs, or issues here.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The support person got back to me... He does not know of any login/cookie issues (other than those of us that use various tools to limit cookies in our browsers).

If anyone has more information, let us know.

I would suggest going in browser and delete all cookies related to forum.solar-electric.com and re-log in. In years pasts, I have seen old cookies sometimes confuse a website.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    ditto

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed over the last couple of days that the FORUM forgets that I logged on on a different cpu at a different location earlier in the day...???

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    did the site just go down or was it just me?
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Yes Its a JOKE
    I need MARK ALL READ .
    Start again
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #187
    Get a backup from your   V bulletin forum server !!!!! of when this stuff started & a few months before & do what we did .
    I needed to fix this . We have the smartest folks testing the others and asking the other side who thinks different .
    Wife -Me  , both think , but see the end different .

I can't even edit my post .

I got MY (MINE) back on track . Mine is not for sales & cost Squat ,,BUT the Gentlemen who belong have the backings of the forum In ideas ..
  • BB.
    At the top of the page, there is a "Mark all Viewed" link to push.

You can edit posts up to one week old... If you need to edit something older, just drop me a PM.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Aguarancher
    It's nice there is now a 'store link' but it would be nice if it redirected to a new page like it used to.
  • BB.
    OK, a suggestion for a new window for store link.

The next major change is to update the forum theme. This is the basic "Vanilla" out of the box (for the most part). In the relatively near future (last I heard).

-Bill
  • Aguarancher
    BB. said:

The next major change is to update the forum theme.

-Bill
    UT OH.. LOL
  • Aguarancher
    edited November 2015 #192
    Bill, there isn't a message link in your profile (at least for me there isn't). How are we supposed to contact the moderator? I sent you a pm, but had to piggy-back it on a previous message i had sent to you.
  • BB.
    Thank you Aguarancher--Yes, it appears the MESSAGE button is missing from my account profile at this time. I have asked the service folks to take a look at this for me.

For the present time, you (or anyone else) can go to your own inbox and send a message to me by addressing it to "BB." directly.

Thank you,
    -Bill
  • BB.
    To search for your latest posts, go to your profile page and click on Comments button to the right. Here is mine:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/profile/comments/512/BB.

-Bill

• Aguarancher
    Would anyone else like to see “recent discussions” and “new discussion” changed to Recent Posts and New Post? I think it is confusing to new ‘posters’ and any current members that haven’t signed in to this new Vanilla Format. Plus 99% of other forums use posts instead of this new verbage (discussions).
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Would anyone else like to see “recent discussions” and “new discussion” changed to Recent Posts and New Post?
    I don't even see a "recent discussion" button or menu.

In order for me to make a New Post, I must Leave a Comment.  And if you want to see it, there is no "new comments" or "new posts" button... you must click "discussions" and the newest comments/posts will be at the top of page.  

Fortunately, when I leave a comment, the button says "Post Comment", which suggests that I might be making a new post, even though it's really just a comment in a discussion that is about to be posted.

Whatever happened to threads?  And is there any progress on numbering the comments/posts in a thread/discussion?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Aguarancher
    "I don't even see a "recent discussion" button or menu." They are both on the homepage at the upper right hand side.
  • BB.
    The Discussions button on the top an the "Recent Discussions" on the left are the same function.

And you click on (right side) Categories to see the various forums and click down into those for "threads".

"Discussions"="Threads".
    "Comments"="posts" (at least in terms of discussions--You can also make comments in user profiles too--Just to make things more confusing).

And there is the Recent Activities button--That lists things people (and system) does... In fact, just figured out that is a new method to inject spam... Time to send off another email to support folks. Sigh....

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Would anyone else like to see “recent discussions” and “new discussion” changed to Recent Posts and New Post? I think it is confusing to new ‘posters’ and any current members that haven’t signed in to this new Vanilla Format. Plus 99% of other forums use posts instead of this new verbage (discussions).

The major issues that I have had with the last version of vbulletin software,  and the Vanilla,  as well,  is ALL of the divergence from the behavior and methods required to do almost anything.  There are cryptic little icons,  like the gear of knob that one needs to finally guess may be some much-needed,  useful function,  like,  " Edit "

I do not navigate any Forum,  by looking at the Recent Posts (or whatever one chooses to call them here and now),  but rather,  by looking at a category (or whatever they are now called)  ...  Having some accurate indication of what is New is quite helpful on every other Forum,  but the " New "  function here, seems unpredictable and quite broken.

Have harped on this before ...  Similarities to the function between different Forums (to me this site is a Forum) is a real plus.  Having one Forum behave grossly differently in many aspects is a detriment.

To me,  this Forum is essentially a Technical space.  Having aspects of Social Media here is not useful,  and could well dilute the amount of technical information present,  and perhaps allow drift into baby pics,   and pet-trick pics.

Love the one "Enter" keystroke generate a double-space ...   have never seen this in any text editor function or typewriter,  ever ...  always gets me!  Why must this be the way that it is?   ... Completely unique among any Forum that I visit. (have just now stopped trying to compensate for this anomaly).

Appreciate that David and the Wind-Sun crew,  and BB Bill have chosen to make the investment in time and $$ to exit vbulletin and find something better,  And,  thanks again to all who are working to make this site still be on of the better sites for content,  if perhaps not quite yet there in functionality.

FWIW,   Thanks!   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #200
     I like the Vanilla software. I like that it has evolved or been modified when certain issues have been found. Nothing is perfect because we all have opinions on how things could be done. 

The little "gear thing" is commonplace these days. It always has something to do with settings, so when I was looking to edit something, I saw it, clicked it and there it was! No big deal. If nothing ever changed, nothing different ever tried out we'd still be using candles instead of solar power, carburetors instead of fuel injection and we'd still have DOS and green screens instead of Windows or whatever Apple calls their system. Etc. Etc. Change happens. Sometimes for the worse; Windows Vista. Sometimes for the better; Windows 7. 

Just the way I see it
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    Vic,

I am not sure why you have double line feeds.

The above are me pressing enter twice. The next line is a single enter. (Single enter here)
    And no extra line feeds.

(Double enter above). Your lines seem to have two or even three line feeds.
    -Bill
  • Mountain Don
    I don't understand the line feed issue you have Vic. I will press Enter once
    there one press.  Now 2 presses on Enter

that was 2 presses and 2 line feeds.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #203
    There may be a problem with your OS or keyboard driver converting the single return/enter keystroke into a <carriage return><line feed> pair. There have historically been problems with operating systems and word processing (including text editing) software revolving around whether breaking to a new line should be a single "newline" (=<line feed>) character (Unix derivatives) or two characters (<cr><lf>) or the other single character, <lf> (various incarnations of Windows).
    Some software is smart enough (or obstinate enough) to realize that <cr><lf> should only space down one line. Other software is not.
    To some extent the behavior of the web server will be influenced by the OS on which it is running or is most commonly run.
    Anyway, an actual network trace of the web traffic or a browser trace using a web developer plugin will tell you what you are actually sending to the server. At this point you appear to be in the minority.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Mountain Don
    edited November 2015 #204
    Do you have access to a second, different brand computer,  a tablet, a phone....?

Which reminds me of another thing I like about Vanilla.  It is smart enough to recognize the device and optimize the screen layout for small screens like phones and tablets.  I don't even have to turn the screen sideways to read this forum like some need. Some other forums work well on a small screen but require both the forum server and the user device to run Tapatalk software/app. I prefer to not do that. 
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    inetdog said:
    There may be a problem with your OS or keyboard driver converting the single return/enter keystroke into a <carriage return><line feed> pair. There have historically been problems with operating systems and word processing (including text editing) software revolving around whether breaking to a new line should be a single "newline" (=<line feed>) character (Unix derivatives) or two characters (<cr><lf>) or the other single character, <lf> (various incarnations of Windows).
    Some software is smart enough (or obstinate enough) to realize that <cr><lf> should only space down one line. Other software is not.
    To some extent the behavior of the web server will be influenced by the OS on which it is running or is most commonly run.
    Anyway, an actual network trace of the web traffic or a browser trace using a web developer plugin will tell you what you are actually sending to the server. At this point you appear to be in the minority.

OK thanks inetdog,  and M D.  All that I know,  is what I see.  If it is my Toshiba Laptop,  with IE 11, running Win 7 HPE that is causing it,  I cannot know.  HOWEVER,  this is the ONLY site where this behavior is evident,  AND have NEVER,  EVER seen this behavior anywhere,  EVER before.  That is all.  NBD    ....   space,   space    .....    space

I have stopped changing my typing style,  or editing my posts to remove the added spaces,  it was just one more little,  niggling thing that makes this site a mystery.  I do not use a SmartyPants Phone at all,  as moderately reliable Cell coverage is 20-or-more miles away.

Sorry to be redundant.  Thanks,

Spacy   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mountain Don
    One of lifes mysteries I guess.
  • vtmaps
    How do I find a saved draft?  --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Mountain Don
    What I see is if I type something and save the draft and close the browser then, when I go back to that page later what I saved is still in the "leave a comment" field. Even if I switch to a different browser.  You do have to be logged in of course. Then you can post it or edit or delete it by backspacing it out. You just need to remember the topic where you saved a draft .
  • vtmaps
    OK, thanks.  I have noted that behavior... but that won't bring back the long post that vaporized as soon as I clicked the "Post Comment" button :(    --vtMaps
  • Mountain Don
    No, but then nothing I ever found could bring those back. It's odd that it didn't autosave the draft though as I have seen that notification pop up several times as I type or sit and think. Appears at the lower left once a minute as long as there have been changes made in the compose field. Or so it seems. 
  • BB.
    On the right is a "My Drafts" button... It takes you to a page with all of your posts that have been typed but not yet posted... I have one that I have abandoned for weeks, and it is still there.

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.