wind generator help !!

nickjones
nickjones Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi.
About 18 months ago I purchased a cheap chinese made 300 watt wind generator from ebay, It worked fine until about two months ago when it started squeaking and shortly after it stopped working at all although it still spins freely. I have it installed on my boat and it is a major task to remove it so I decided to try and fix it myself, I soon found the problem, the wires that connect the windings to the diode were in contact with the back of the rotor and two of the wires have completely worn through,
there are three wires connecting the windings to the diode but they are all colour coded white, one still has intact insulation so I know where that one goes but what I need to know is will I damage the windings or the diode if I connect the two remaining wires the wrong way around?.
Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nickjones
    second photo
  • nickjones
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    nickjones said:
    Hi.
    About 18 months ago I purchased a cheap chinese made 300 watt wind generator from ebay, It worked fine until about two months ago when it started squeaking and shortly after it stopped working at all although it still spins freely. I have it installed on my boat and it is a major task to remove it so I decided to try and fix it myself, I soon found the problem, the wires that connect the windings to the diode were in contact with the back of the rotor and two of the wires have completely worn through,
    there are three wires connecting the windings to the diode but they are all colour coded white, one still has intact insulation so I know where that one goes but what I need to know is will I damage the windings or the diode if I connect the two remaining wires the wrong way around?.
    Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    If it is a bridge rectifier (and it probably is) then it doesn't matter which AC output you connect to which input on the bridge.
  • nickjones
  • nickjones
    Thanks Bill.
    I figured that if I disconnect the wind generator from the storage batteries I can reconnect the broken wires and test it for charge with my meter. Either the problem will be solved or it will not work and the wires need switching around. Thanks again.
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #7

I do like seeing the inside pics!  I was pleasantly surprised to see the large copper windings.

Do you think the damage might have been cause by abrupt wind tracking into the varying directions of wind as you are out on the water?

I've use an automotive oil additive straight out of the bottle called "Dura Lube" on several dry bearings with repeated great success.  On "sealed for life" bearings with side shielding of metal or plastic, I used a Vet. Hypo and needle after drilling a 1/16" hole through the shielding to apply the additive.

Would you mind sharing what the brand name of the Generator is?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill