LED availability?

Telco
Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know a good source for LEDs? I'm looking for 110/120V LEDs to replace my CFLs with. Right now it'll have to be 120s, as I'm looking to start replacing the bulbs in my existing house. I have no option to go solar thanks to the HOA Nazis, not that I would when I'm planning on bailing out of the house in a few years. The LEDs I can leave in the house when I move as an investment in power availability of the future. In the meantime, they would help me get a handle on what my power usage would be when it comes time to build.

What I'd really like to find is a source that also equates light output to either incandescents or CFLs, like CFLs do today. I wouldn't mind a source that will also show 12V models, might be able to slap a small setup on the roof of the shed so I can have a light out there.

Also did a search on LED, L.E.D and led on this site, not a single match. Asked it to search subjects and messages.

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: LED availability?

Here are a couple of possibilities:

http://spectrumled.com/
    http://www.superbrightleds.com

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

You're presently using CFL's and want to switch to LED? As far as I know, you will not yet find an LED light that will equal, watt for watt, the overall light output of a CFL. Yes, the LEDs can use a lot less power, but also give a lot less light, and what light they do give, tends to be highly directional.
    I'm using mostly 4 watt and some 13 watt CFLs and rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OOPS, time for me to sign off and get to bed - - falling asleep at the keyboard!
  • Telco

Yep, that's it exactly. There have supposed to have been some recent breakthroughs on LED technology, hoping there might be something usable now. If not no biggie, but later on I really want to go this way if possible to do so without breaking the bank.

Bummer, checked those sites out, not there yet but close. When they can reach outputs similar to a 60 watt incandescent, I'm there. The best they are up to is about 25 watt incandescents. Guess it'll be the CFLs for a couple more years. :cry:
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

luxeons are brighter i have some standard led ac (and dc) bulbs they are not good for anything but task lighting close up. once of my 7w 12vcfl's just dies so i ordered a under cabinet luxeon 12v from superbright leds just now, and also just bought a couple ac fixtures for experimentation. for a lot of the lights in our house 25w output is just fine. too bad they are so expensive.

I have never actually seen the luxeon output but i understand its far brightrer than regular led's. also they had a type up there called Nichia 1.3w led's so i picked up one of those as well. another downer is the cool white offers nmore lumens but is not as nice as warm white.

one fixture i bought elsewhere died so i am going to keep my superbright led's receipt for the 1 year they warrant the bulbs
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you want to look more into LEDs--There is a flashlight forum with an LED sub-forum where you can read and ask questions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lamplight

i received my led's today and got to finally see a luxeon in action. definitely more impressive than your usual led light fixtures with a ton of leds. anyhow i did take some side by side pics tonight that illustrate the light differences between the various leds and CFL's that i have - i intend to get all that together with the specs of each bulb to post here soon.
  • Telco

Excellent, will be looking forward to seeing them in action. Would be great if you could take a shot of the room where the lights are in, old LED vs new LED vs CFL if you have it, no camera flash. No matter if you can't, but showing the rooms as lit by the LEDs would really show the difference. Thanks either way. :D
  • 12vman
    12vman Solar Expert Posts: 25 ✭✭

Check out these units. I use a few around here and they provide a lot of light.. (12 v.d.c.)
  • lamplight

thats exactly what i did and even ensured the exact same exposure settings so the compartison is accurate at least as a comparison to each other, try to get it all together and post here this weekend
    Telco wrote: »
    Excellent, will be looking forward to seeing them in action. Would be great if you could take a shot of the room where the lights are in, old LED vs new LED vs CFL if you have it, no camera flash. No matter if you can't, but showing the rooms as lit by the LEDs would really show the difference. Thanks either way. :D