Sunpower (or Other) Panels with Maxeon cells

Wanderman
Wanderman Solar Expert Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
I am toying with the idea of re-re replacing my RV semi flexible prototypes with more efficient cells. I like the idea of slightly stiffer build of the Maxeon copper backing. They look to be much less vibration and temperature sensitive. 

Does anyone know if there is any place that I can purchase Panels using the Maxeon cells? Custom sized would be great, but their standard sizes would be OK. Not to mention they are quite efficient. 

Evidently they will not sell small quantities to individuals nor companies. I have attempted to call the company and ask about prototyping for a new product..no calls back. Could not reach a human in the US. The Manila call center was no help at all. 

You would think business development would be of some importance to them.

Any leads? Surplus Panels?

thanks,
Rick

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know making your own panels is not very cost effective but if you are thinking custom size you can buy raw ,rear contact Sunpower type cells on eBay as well as the cell specific "dog bone" tabbing .

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Wanderman
    littleharbor,
       I've seen them on ebay...and alibaba...but I really do not have the capability to produce semi-flexible cells with a laminated "sandwich."

It seems unreasonable that one cannot buy panels (even stock sizes) from somewhere. And the fact that it is impossible (so far) to get anyone on the phone at Sunpower is ridiculous.

Perhaps I can find someone that had/has a residential or commercial project using the panels and perhaps has surplus.

Rick
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    At least in times past, Sunpower was only selling panels to installers... There was no retail channel.

And the cells you purchase on Ebay were typically rejects--Not a great start to build your own panels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Wanderman
    Bill,
       So far I have found this to be true now as it was in the past. I still would like to find a few panels to test.

Rick
  • Wanderman
    Does anyone know of a residential installer that has extra Maxeon Cell Sunpower panels lying around?? I'd like to buy them

Rich
  • sridharTS
    sridharTS Registered Users Posts: 33
    What the reason when cell efficiency is high compared to module efficiency,
    When the cell efficiency is 25 %. when connected series in a module will produce only 16%. how
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    sridharTS said:
    What the reason when cell efficiency is high compared to module efficiency,
    When the cell efficiency is 25 %. when connected series in a module will produce only 16%. how
    Reflection losses in the glass of the assembled panel?
    Higher temperature because of the insulating value of front and back of panel?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Usually, cell/panel efficiency is only important if you do not have a lot of room to install the panels (top of an RV, space station, etc.).

In general, good quality crystalline silicon cells in a glass panel (well constructed) is your best bet. Look at $$$/Watt pricing.

Not usually a good thing to pay 50% more for the same wattage of solar array just to get a few percentage more efficient cells.

And, Sunpower (the original German/US company) does make very nice panels...

Just try to setup an array for RV and see how much more/less power you will get between different vendors of panel... More or less, 10% or less difference is virtually a "don't care" issue. Your daily power usage/harvest will vary by more than that.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Wanderman
    OK....still.

Where can I get back contact panels using maxeon tech. It's really not the efficiency I am after, rather the more robust contact surface and vibration resistance.

Rick
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    We can get panels with back contact sunpower cells here, but they are like 3 bucks a watt:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/generators-power-supply/solar/auction-973977609.htm

The same cells (cut into subcell slices) are now in a lot of foldable travel chargers eg:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECEEN-13W-Foldable-Solar-Charger-Portable-Solar-Panel-With-Dual-USB-/281524364429

They are actually quite impressive, ive tested the latter unit and it easily produced 10W into the load  (including dc converter losses) for a module that is only about a foot square incl bezzel.

1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Wanderman
    I've seen those on various marketplaces (alibaba, etc.) But there has to someone in the US!

Help!

Rick
  • Wanderman
    Likely a Spambot, but what good is posting a link to the manufacturer that WON'T sell to me?
  • Wanderman
    Still looking for Back Contact panels Maxeon preferred....

help!
  • rmay635703
    rmay635703 Registered Users Posts: 7
    I have wanted these as well in smaller FLEXIBLE panels for vehicles. but the bloody things only come as cells or from one place in more or less useless panel sizes.

Any links to where I get a flexible sheet to attach the cells and the rest of the supplies, I am desperate enough I might give it a go..

Also I remember some flexible solar panels being listed as improved roofing and not requiring a contractor to install, anyone remember what brand that was?

Also do these Maxeon style cells come in anything smaller than 5x5?  I actually need 2x2 to achieve my voltage goals on one particular vehicle.

Thanx
    Ryan
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully this is allowed. I'm not a dealer just showing an example from everybody's favorite auction site. If not  what it is ,is  a 230 watt 12 volt back contact flexible panel. There are lots of them available  if you type in "Flexible Solar Panel"
     Again just trying to help, I'm not a dealer.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1150W-Solar-Panel-Semi-Flexible-12v-battery-charger-for-boats-Rvs-and-more-/272211036450?hash=item3f610ac922:g:UXUAAOSw~oFXDpE~

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.