generator to inverter wiring question

elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
I want to make sure that my ignorance does not affect my equipment. In wiring a honda generator to my system, I'd like confirmation for the basics if someone would indulge me. I am going to create a connection from the eu3000is to the VFX3524. The connections at the inverter are marked for positive, negative and ground. Here's my dilemma. I will be using a 3 wire cord which shows the exposed black, white and green at the inverter end. The wires at the plug into the generator, however, are not visible. Is doing a continuity test the best way to determine positive and negative? Or, is there a better/easier way? Meanwhile, I will wire the mate2 so that I'm good to go.

One more thing...once I program the mate2 for the generator input, etc., do those values remain if I turn off the inverter? I didn't notice that the instructions addressed that.

Thanks to anyone who offers assistance.
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• Blitz
    Blitz Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Page 78 ( when using adobe reader ) or ...Page 76 is the "actual manual page number" below shows the wiring diagram for the receptacles on Your Honda.

I assume You are using the "Round" 30 amp single outlet receptacle.

The Female Ground "Port" on the receptacle has the "hook" or "L shape " on it ( Green )
    The port 180 degrees across from that, is the neutral ( White )
    The "top port" ( on the diagram ) is the HOT lead port. ( Black on Your Cord... shows RED on Honda diagram )

Double check Your configuration, to be sure.
    An Ohm Meter is not a bad idea, to double check.
    The 30 amp 120 volt receptacle may have been "rotated" when it was actually installed, so "top" may now be "sideways" on your generator.

Open the PDF and enlarge it to see the diagram on page 78 : ( Or 76 if using the actual printed manual page numbers )

http://www.geotechenv.com/Manuals/Ho...s/EU3000is.pdf

I cant help with the Mate 2 programming.

Just throwing this out there....
    Others Here will have much better advice.
  • elesaver
    Thanks, Blitz. Makes sense although it negates my usual approach which is, "When everything else fails, follow the directions." :-)
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    elesaver wrote: »
    I will be using a 3 wire cord which shows the exposed black, white and green at the inverter end. The wires at the plug into the generator, however, are not visible. Is doing a continuity test the best way to determine positive and negative? Or, is there a better/easier way?

I'm not sure what you are asking... Does this cord have a plug on one end?
    One more thing...once I program the mate2 for the generator input, etc., do those values remain if I turn off the inverter? I didn't notice that the instructions addressed that.
    Why would you turn off the inverter when the generator is on?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    do those values remain if I turn off the inverter?

Yes, the settings are held until you change them.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • elesaver
    Sorry for the random questions, Vtmaps. I am planning on changing out some equipment and didn't want to go through the mate programming if it was going to disappear and I'd have to do it all over again. Mountain Don has helped with that.

Yes, I have a cord with a plug that will plug into the generator and then the other end (with only the wires with stripped ends) will go into the inverter. Blitz has helped me with that.

So, thanks all. I think I can do it. I have, by the way, ordered the automatic choke "contraption" that will go on the honda eu3000is to allow it to start when needed. Once this gets done, I'm almost there. Should be an interesting experience. The great thing is that I'm no alone, so to speak. Thanks to those on this board who are so patient and willing to help, it's not a scary journey at all. :-)

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have a cord with a plug that will plug into the generator and then the other end (with only the wires with stripped ends) will go into the inverter. Blitz has helped me with that.
    Well then, you shouldn't need to do look at the shape or positions of the pins, or do any continuity tests. You can use the wire colors on the inverter end of the cord as your guide (as per Blitz's post).

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blitz
    Blitz Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Thanks, Blitz. Makes sense although it negates my usual approach which is, "When everything else fails, follow the directions." :-)

No Problem Elesaver.
    I have done several of these lately.... of various configurations and amps and voltages....
    and had to triple check everything, and keep it all consistent through several systems.
    Actually marked the plug ends and the receptacles with a sharpie, so in the future I dont have to second guess... should i want to modify something.
    then sealed it all up in weathrproof enclosures... and clear silicone.
    no going back in "easily" later on.

I didnt want to pull my generator apart to find out either....( tried and gave up quickly )

no big deal.
    the manuals are the last thing I reach for also :)