Battery equalization question

Options
jmiller968
jmiller968 Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
I just finished installing my off grid system...4 100w renogy panels in series, tristar 45 mppt controller, 4 6v 115ah batteries in series/parallel for a 12v system. My question involves the equalization mode of the tristar controller. Specifically, how long does it take, and what happens if it is interrupted by cloud cover. I am able to set the dip switches to have the controller equalize every 28 days. But what happens if the 28th day is cloudy...will it equalize the next day? I also have the ability to initiate this manually. Is that the best course of action?
Thanks for any advice
Jeff

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I am not a concerned about auto EQ as I am in actually measuring the state of your batteries with a good DMM (voltage per cell/battery) and using a good hydrometer. That is what is 90% of understanding the health of the battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You will learn more about the health of your batteries is you check actual hydrometer readings and record them on a regular basis. Personally I do not like automatic EQ. But that's me. I like to be there to monitor what is going on, check that the batteries do not overheat or run out of water.

I don't know for sure what will happen if the preset auto-EQ day is cloudy but I suspect the EQ will just not happen until the next 28 days pass. But that is just a guess.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One problem with automatic EQ is the requirement to get to 100% SOC (on the majority of your batteries) before the effective equalization starts.
    It is very hard to reach 100% and then have enough daylight left for EQ.
    Much better is manual EQ with charging by generator or getting to 100% by major load shedding, Both are incompatible with automatic EQ.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.