question about amps vs volts for battery maintenance

Options
elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
In providing sufficient charging capacity for a battery bank, is it better to configure panels for higher volts (series) or higher amp hours (parallel).

Basically, the question references this scenerio: 24V battery bank with 938 aH; six panels 300W, 8.18 a, 36.73 nominal voltage currently wired as 3 strings
of two into a combiner box. The battery DOD planned is to not exceed 50% although I do have a generator in the event of a problem. The controller is an Midnight
Solar Classic 200 and the inverter is an Outback VFX 3524.

Any thoughts would be of great help.

1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    elesaver wrote: »
    In providing sufficient charging capacity for a battery bank, is it better to configure panels for higher volts (series) or higher amp hours (parallel).

You are better off with lower voltage from the panels. Your current configuration (three strings, each string with 2 panels in series) is optimal. Why do you have a Classic 200 (rather than a Classic 150)? How far are the panels from the controller?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »

You are better off with lower voltage from the panels. Your current configuration (three strings, each string with 2 panels in series) is optimal. Why do you have a Classic 200 (rather than a Classic 150)? How far are the panels from the controller?

--vtMaps
    But the reason that the lower voltage is better is simply that the CC will be more efficient when the input voltage is closer to the output voltage. That difference in efficiency may not be enough to overcome other reasons (wire size and voltage drop for a long DC run to the CC) for going to a higher voltage.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • elesaver
    Options
    The controller is 60' from the panels with #10 wire. I have the Classic 200 because it was a good price at the time and I thought it would be better to have higher volts than higher amps. As with many things, you can't go back!

The controller shows up to 71+ volts and up to 30 amps when the sun is bright . Of course those numbers vary with the cloud cover, etc. I wasn't certain that 30 amps would be sufficient for adequate keeping this sized battery and/or would it be enough to equalize when needed? As I stated, I do have a Honda eu3000i that I plan to wire to the inverter. I have a mate2 (uninstalled at this moment) and when I can, I want to get the atkinson generator start module to keep things working well. I've looked at the wiring diagram at the atkinson site and it will take some pondering for me to be able to get it working. But, isn't it good to have new challenges? :-)
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A signature line would help us all understand your system and limitations...;)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vtmaps
    Options
    The controller is 60' from the panels with #10 wire.

1800 watts configured as three strings of two panels in series will have a (combined) Vmp of 73.5 and Imp of 24.5. You will have a 4% voltage drop on 60' of #10 cable. That represents a 74 watt cable loss at full 1800 watt nameplate power (seldom achieved). The power loss goes as the square of the current, so at half power your cable loss would be less than 19 watts.

Your alternatives are to use heavier cable (#6 cable would have a 1.4% voltage drop), or configure your panels at a higher voltage.

If you put the panels in two strings of three panels in series, the voltage drop with the #10 cable is 1.8% and the cable loss is 33 watts at full 1800 watt nameplate power (seldom achieved). At full power (seldom achieved) you have reduced your cable loss by 41 watts, but you have increased the power loss in the controller which will run hotter and die sooner. Midnite has not released efficiency graphs for the Classics, but on their forum one of the engineers said he expects it to be similar to the Outback FM controllers. In that case, most (but not all) of the 41 watts you save in the cable will be lost in the Classic. That is at full power (seldom achieved). At lower powers the efficiency gains in the controller (of having a lower input voltage) will trump the cable loss.

So what to do? First choice: replace #10 cable with #6 cable. Second choice: not sure... probably leave the configuration at 2 in series, but since you have a Classic 200, you could go to 3 panels in series. Three in series will give you less voltage drop (helps controller to know true voltage of batteries), but three in series also makes your controller run hotter and at typical operating conditions (less than full power) your overall system will be less efficient than having two panels in series.

--vtMaps

4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • elesaver
    Options
    Vtmaps, your info was exactly what I was looking for. I had pondered replacing the #10 cable earlier. Now I see it would be a good thing to do. Having a Classic "die early" would be awful. They are not cheap. Thanks for your help.

• elesaver
    Options
    As Columbo would say, "And, another thing..." If this system is generating 24.5 Imp, how do I translate that into charging amps put into the battery bank? I only want a maximum of 40% DOD. Yes, I realize that amount of sun is not the same all the time, etc., but as a general rule, is there a formula to be able to know this? Thanks again.

• elesaver
    Options
    I would add a signature line but I can't seem to find the location to do that. :-)

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    go to the top right corner of this page, and click on your user name then go to user settings, then to the left side of the page, to USER Settings, then ACCOUNT, go down the page and look for some small BLUE print in the Conversation details section

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Typical charging current:

430 Watt array * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging = 22.8 amps "typical" maximum charging current

MPPT vs PWM controllers, the maximum charging current is calculated differently--because they work on entirely different principles. But the above equation is "close enough" for an otherwise correctly designed system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Typical charging current:

430 Watt array * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging = 22.8 amps "typical" maximum charging current

Huh? I thought this was about 1800 watts of panels on a 24 volt system. --vtMaps
  • vtmaps
    Options
    If this system is generating 24.5 Imp, how do I translate that into charging amps put into the battery bank?

Your controller is an MPPT. You have watts going in and most of those watts coming out (some loss due to inefficiency). If you have 1800 watts going in, and the battery voltage happens to be 25 volts, you have 1800 ÷ 25 = 72 amps. If your controller and wire losses are 6%, then you have 67.7 amps going into the battery.

As your battery voltage gets higher, the current into the battery gets lower. At 28 volts, the current (before losses) is 1800 ÷ 28 = 64.3 amps. 60.4 amps after losses.

Once the battery voltage reaches the absorb voltage, the current into the battery will taper down to a final value called 'end amps'.

--vtMaps
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Was not sure what numbers. Just take the equation and put in your numbers.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset