Project Sunroof

Alex
Alex Registered Users Posts: 12
Hi guys, has anyone heard about Google's Project Sunroof? What do you think about it?

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex wrote: »
    Hi guys, has anyone heard about Google's Project Sunroof? What do you think about it?

I just looked it up online but have not tried it out.
    The roof mapping from Google Maps/Google Earth data looks interesting. Almost certainly cannot see small plumbing vents and so forth.
    Not sure how they select/screen local installers for the last step.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • dropkick
    dropkick Registered Users Posts: 23
    Google has put side scanning radar/lidar data into the maps in our area (southern calif). You'd be suprised, and slightly disturbed, with the 3D detail it can see. Maybe not a 4" vent pipe, but certainly things in the 1 foot range. It's correctly mapped the heights of all our trees, the furniture, an umbrella, and the hedge around the pool, and my directv dish and the neighbors roof vents. And it can see under things which is even more slightly disturbing! There is an overhead cable tray for a cellular site on a roof downtown which I have assets on too, so I've seen it in person. Mapped it perfectly in 3 dimensions. Same with the 4 panel antennas for the cell site. Even the air conditioners on the wall show up properly. Creepy.

How long till the unsolicited solar advertisements start based on Project Sunroof data? "You can save (exactly) $2364 a year for $116/mo!)". And wait till the utilities or govt start looking for unpermitted/off-grid panels.
    6 250W Renogy panels / Morningstar TriStar MPPT 60 charge controller / 8 Costco CG-2 batteries @ 24V / Samlex PST-1000-24 inverter / Samlex SDC-23 24/12V converter and BG-60 LVD / Midnite Solar boxes, breakers, etc.
  • Alex
    Alex Registered Users Posts: 12
    inetdog wrote: »
    Not sure how they select/screen local installers for the last step.

That's a good question. It seems a part of their solution is partnering up with companies like SunEdison according to SunEdison's blog. According to the Project Sunroof FAQ installers can also sign up directly if they’re so terribly eager to ;-)
    dropkick wrote: »
    Even the air conditioners on the wall show up properly. Creepy.

That is indeed creepy. Nevertheless I’m sure that their estimate will sometimes differ significantly from the proposal from the local solar company and homeowners will be confused as to whom they should trust.