Solar Calculator

Hopefully many will find the attached spreadsheet useful, let me know if you find errors.

Cheers,

Bad Apple

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: Solar Calculator

Do not see anything attached or is it me ??
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I didn't read that .xls isn't valid. I renamed it .zip, just rename it back to .xls if the server doesn't pull it out of this post. Otherwise I'll send it via alternate method.

Cheers,

Bad Apple
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Got it, renaming was key info missing. Thanks.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... My computer says the downloaded file is "either invalid or corrupted"...

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2

It was a renamed .xls so antivirus must have checked the file structure and blocked it. Attached is the zipped spreadsheet.

Bad Apple
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i simply downloaded it and used 'open with' and chose the xls type program i have. worked fine. did you do the work on all of that ba? if so, nice job from my first glance-over.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

I downloaded the zip file and worked first time,looks good something to play with during the darker nights that are drawing in

Thanks BA
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Got it... looks interesting!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Very nice!! Is the battery ah dead-on or does it include some buffer. I noticed if I lower the battery efficiency the required ah's go down. Shouldn't it be the other way?

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• System2

Quote:
    machineman Re: Solar Calculator

Very nice!! Is the battery ah dead-on or does it include some buffer. I noticed if I lower the battery efficiency the required ah's go down. Shouldn't it be the other way?

Thanks for the testing machineman, there is no buffer in the battery requirements everything is based on input values. I've corrected the error you discovered and am going to upload/overwrite the corrected Solar Calc.zip with this reply but won't be able to verify if the old file was over written until I post this. I'll complete the reply and post back back if it didn't overwrite the old file.

Thanks again.

Quote:
    niel Re: Solar Calculator

i simply downloaded it and used 'open with' and chose the xls type program i have. worked fine. did you do the work on all of that ba? if so, nice job from my first glance-over.

Yes and thanks.

Cheers,

Bad Apple
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

I just plugged the same numbers into the new worksheet. Wow.. My required ah went from about 2000 to 3000ah.

Question.. If I was to have a back-up genertor to fill loads that exceed 50% battery charge, could I cut back on the required batteries or less PV panels?

Also is there a way to factor in the occupany rate? Like if I'm only there using power 2 days a week then what would my requirements be?

Thanks,
    Tom

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• System2
    machineman wrote: »
    I just plugged the same numbers into the new worksheet. Wow.. My required ah went from about 2000 to 3000ah.

Question.. If I was to have a back-up genertor to fill loads that exceed 50% battery charge, could I cut back on the required batteries or less PV panels?

Also is there a way to factor in the occupany rate? Like if I'm only there using power 2 days a week then what would my requirements be?

Thanks,
    Tom

The calculator does not consider generators at all, but yes, using a generator would allow you to use a smaller battery and/or array. You would still need to have enough battery /inverter capacity to start loads, otherwise you would have to run the genny to get them going. What are your requirements?

Just an off-the-cuff guess on the occupancy question, I'd multiply requirements by 2/7. Just make sure that you don't exceed total DOD of 70-80% while you're there.

Cheers,

Bad Apple