Good motor for generator?

davez
davez Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello guys I'm new here and I just wan to ask what good motor will be used for a wind turbine project is this one a good motor?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Servomotor-UGRMEM-01SND11-Minertia-motor-Yaskawa-/161779051816?hash=item25aac86d28

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    To be honest, no standard servo motor is good for use on a wind turbine--They simply do not last or generate much power (poor match for blade RPM vs servo RPM). And do not have bearings rated for outdoor use/blade loads/etc.

I am not a big fan of small wind--But if you are interested in building your own--A Do It Yourself project can be better than many of the commercial units out there. Here are some links that may help you (we do not have a lot of wind power discussions here):

www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

Do you live in a windy area? Can you fly the turbine 10-20+ meters in the air? Can you install the turbine away from home/buildings so that if it falls, there will be no damage/injury to people? Do you have lightning in your area? How much energy would you need the turbine to generate (per day/month) to be worthwhile?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • davez
    but it will be good if I will just use it for a small project?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    davez wrote: »
    but it will be good if I will just use it for a small project?

It could be fun as an experiment / learning project to learn first hand for oneself what might work and what won't, and how much power you may or may not get out of it. But beyond that, I have to agree with BB.
  • BB.
    I don't know.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • davez
    I have a motor that outputs around 4v when spun by hand will this motor work?
  • BB.
    For charging a 12 volt battery, you want about 18 vdc.

Alternators have 3 phase output. Add that you can write as Delta or Wye connection plus a full wave rectifier, I would expect an alternator to output well over 20 vac RMS (a car alternator can have 120 vdc output at rated rpm.

You need to graph voltage vs rpm for the motor... or connect to a rectifier to 12 vdc battery and graph output current vs rpm.

4 volts is not enough to charge a 12 volt battery.

-Bill