Bolt (screw?) size for securing Xantrex 80A breaker in XW PDP

Hey all,

I bought two 80A breakers from the local solar supplier. Unfortunately they did not come with any bolts/screws to fasten them into the PDP. I tried at a local hardware store but 6/32 and 8/32 were too small or too big respectively. My solar supplier was unable to assist me, apparently just getting the breakers was an ordeal for him and he doesn't generally deal with anything Xantrex. If anyone here knows what the appropriate size would be that I'm looking for, that would be dandy! Tried sending an email to XW support but have got no response on this one as yet!

Thanks kindly in advance!

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Rossman,

BOY! I thought that the screw size WAS 6-32, will check my stock of the E-Frame breakers. Will report back. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Rossman
    Rossman Solar Expert Posts: 178 ✭✭
    They seemed kind of loose to me, but i might be able to tighten them down. Just did not want to use the wrong screw and make a mess of the threads!
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, The Airpax brand and the Carling breakers ARE both 6-32.

We did buy 80 A, and 100 A "Schneider" breakers from the sponsor of this site, fairly recently, and they were Carling brand, and came with mounting screws INCLUDED ... they might have been distributed by MidNite Solar (a wild guess), as MN always supplies mounting screws with their breakers, not so much from other suppliers:

http://www.solar-electric.com/instal...l80ampdcb.html

(now see MidNite in the above link ...).

EDIT, And there are no mounting screws shown in the pic at the above like, but they have been included in recent orders from N AZ wind & Sun<.

BTW, they DO seem loose, but, it seems that the threaded-insert that accepts the screw floats, which probably allows more tolerance in the panel hole location (IMO).

All FWIW. It is a good thing not force mounting screws into place. Have Fun with the installation. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Rossman
    Thanks Vic. These breakers appear to be the Carlings. I will give these 6/32's a shot and see how i get on, cheers!
  • new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    Question is this system up and running yet? if you need any spare breakers 60 or 80 A i have them if your in a bind..
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • Rossman
    new2PV wrote: »
    Question is this system up and running yet? if you need any spare breakers 60 or 80 A i have them if your in a bind..

This system is partially set up, right now no solar panels/charge controllers are wired in, but the inverter is wired to the house AC service panel and we have a generator inlet on the side of our house to recharge the batteries. I have both 80A breakers that I need for now, thanks kindly for the offer!
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Considering the mfg they might be M3.5x6 or M4x.75 thread I would lean towards the 4mm size as it is between the two sizes you mention.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Rossman
    Vic wrote: »
    BTW, they DO seem loose, but, it seems that the threaded-insert that accepts the screw floats, which probably allows more tolerance in the panel hole location (IMO).

Vic - I used the 6/32's I have and they worked out fine. I think you are right, the insert floats a bit so it seems a little loose if you just thread in partway and give it a wiggle.

Cheers!