Basic pwv charge controller recommendations please

First time solar user, starting to build a system for my camper. I need a solid reliable charge controller to go with my 100 watt panel. I've read tons of reviews on controllers(on Amazon, net, etc) and seems like all have some negative reviews a lot of which are dead on arrival, somme more than others, is this common throughout the industry? Since this is my first venture in solar I don't want to buy high quality mppt (probably will step up to it later) but will spend whats necessary for a good or even best 30 amp pwv. Recommendations and info appreciated.

thanks, Brian

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    calstar wrote: »
    I don't want to buy high quality mppt (probably will step up to it later) but will spend whats necessary for a good or even best 30 amp pwv. Recommendations and info appreciated.

Welcome to the forum,

I think you want a PWM controller (not a pwv). The Midnite Brat and the Morningstar units have excellent reputations. Take a look at what our host sells, they don't sell junk.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • calstar
    calstar Registered Users Posts: 3
    vtmaps wrote: »

I think you want a PWM controller (not a pwv). The Midnite Brat and the Morningstar units have excellent reputations. Take a look at what our host sells, they don't sell junk.

--vtMaps

Yep, and thanks for the info, I'll check the hosts. Brian
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    If you just need a CC for one 100W panel then you don't need a 30A CC. For one 100W panel, I would reccomend this Stecca controller. It costs a bit more but includes an LCD that gives you info on your PV output, charging amps, voltage and state of charge.

If you really need 30A capability because of planned expansion then I agree with vtmaps that the Morningstar PWM controllers or the Midnite Brat would be good choices