Need BIG HELP choosing Charge Controller Please?

Hello guys. I need help here finding the right charge controller or controllers please.
Here is the run down(keep in mind I DO have fuse, fuses, breakers installed in all necessary locations). Ok, I have a 30' Toy Hauler/RV. The RV has [8] eight 250 watt panels on roof(38voc @ 8.75A), I ran #8 THWN-2 straight down to combiner box(parallel)...[ "Insert CC here" ]....Ok, so after CC will be charging 12 volt battery bank(1,200 a.h.), then Xantrex 2000watt inverter. And before we get on the subject, yes, I know this is alot of output amperage. I know I could go up in voltage to drop inversely proportioned amperage down but I need this system to be 12 volt....because the RV lighting, pumps, etc are already 12 volt, appliance are 12 volt, etc.
So here's the big question= do I use one big CC like Midnight classic 150, or do I split it up and use two CC together on one battery bank like the Xantrex mppt60-150 ? ...Or will either of these even work the way I'm seeing it? ...I'm exhausted, my brain is fried, help please.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Go to a higher voltage bank and use a stepdown converterto keep a 12V battery charged to power all your 12v stuff, or you can even use a small Morning star PWM CC to do it... AS to the 1200Ah 12v battery how were you going to get that Amperage? With multiple batteries? More than 2 in parallel is not a recommended solution , lots of problems can arise...

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Each 80A charge controller, at 12V can only take 12*80 watts. Thus you will need 2 of those charge controllers. This is just one of the reasons we dont do 12v with 1kw+ of solar. Do as WB said spend less than 100 bucks on a DC converter for the existing 12v gear. Me personally i favour 24V for RVs, because most/many dc appliances can be got in 24V, so you can gradually convert. If you want to keep the DC stuff. 24V is compromise. 3kW+ you really need 48V.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum,

I agree with westbranch and zoneblue... go to 24 volts. You can reconfigure your existing batteries to 24 volts (unless you have 1200 ah 2 volt cells), and you will only need one controller :D You will, however, need a new inverter :cry: You will also want to reconfigure your panels to be two in series.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Bigmotoxer
    Bigmotoxer Registered Users Posts: 6
    First off ,thanks guys for responding ,big help I've been dying over here. Anyway, Arrgh I don't want to buy another inverter lol. But it would save me from buying 2 CC. my batteries are 6v Crown 220AH btw(sorry forgot to mention that), so yes I have 12 of them, yes that's a lot of paralleling, yes I should go 24-48v. Tear/Sniffs
  • Bigmotoxer
    If I had a 2 strings of 8 battery bank(16 batteries, 48v), isn't it a fact that it's possible to still pull 12v off of one of the batteries?...they do it on 48v parade floats out here @Disney. ...anyway just thinking ,I'll probably go 24v tho
  • Bigmotoxer
    Last thing, please if anyone knows best-bang-for-the-buck 24v 3000w pure sine inverter let me know asap I'm about to order something.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Would you use an Inverter-Charger (AC input for utility/generator charging)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Bigmotoxer
    WHAT IS THAT THING?!
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigmotoxer wrote: »
    Here it is boys n girls wow!!!!!

Hi Bigmotoxer,,

IMO, you need to AVOID that "Charge Controller" -- at best, it is only a Diversion controller, with very limited flexibility, from a company that has a number of Better Business Bureau COMPLAINTS about MISLEADING customers, and not allowing customers to return merchandise.

YES, 24 V is much better than is 12 V, and as zb mentioned, perhaps even 48 V. AND zb's reference to a DC/DC converter, which is a very good way to convert higher battery voltage to 12 V for the RV infrastructure items.

EDIT: Here is a link to the BBB's Complaint history ... some complaints may have been resolved, have not studied it in detail this year:
    http://www.bbb.org/southwestern-missouri/business-reviews/solar-energy-products-retail/missouri-wind-and-solar-in-seymour-mo-32908/complaints

Opinions, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    IMO, you need to AVOID that "Charge Controller" -- at best, it is only a Diversion controller, with very limited flexibility,

Don't be so gentle Vic, tell it like it is... that thing will ruin his batteries. Also, it is necessary to have an alternate dump load in case that thing faults.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Look to Cotek... http://www.cotek.com.tw/product/18.html...
    I have an ST 1500 24v hardwired model. check out the specs of the 2500 model http://www.cotek.com.tw/upload/PDF/ST2500.PDF
    their SK 3000w model is not hardwired if that is an issue...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    RV folk seem to like magnum. A midgen cheaper than outback i guess. But yeah if you dont need the charger, Xantrex, Exeltek, Cotek, Samlex are the better of the mid range stuff. Stay away from the cheap stuff.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Bigmotoxer
    Thanks guys, thanks Vic. Westbranch and zone I'm looking at Cotek...maybe samlex