Replacement of aging Xantrex product

Ralph Day
Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all
My 11yr old Xantrex 4048 is throwing intermittent internal relay faults. The system just shuts down. A thump on the inverter casing will usually clear the fault and with an on/off of the switch I"m back in business.

This is getting old fast. I just returned from a vacation, all was well, so my fridge and freezer contents are fine, the faults just started happening last night. I suspect a dc relay (it happens when grid/generator is not involved) is sticky. Some work on the wall with an impact ratchet (vibration) caused the same cut-out to occurr...relay I think.

I'm looking at 120v only in Outback...VFXR 3648A. and the Magnum MS-PAE 4448 120/240 split phase. Only the heat pump is a 240 load presently running with an autotransformer to provide the 240vac.

What are some thoughts from users of these replacement products? Any thoughts about pulling the cover and blowing with some compressed air? Am I lucky to get 11yrs out of the beast?
Thanks

Ralph

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ralph (also posted this on the MN Forum),

First the SW and SW+ inverters have a bit of a history of the relays sticking. The relays in the SW+es that I have been inside are Deltrol (IIRC)EDIT: 30-ish Amp relay contacts, (paralleled)< each with its own plastic cover. The Deltrol relays that have used here for other projects have a snap-in-place cover, that is not difficult to remove, at least when the relay is not mounted onto a board in a product -- have never ditzed with the ones in the SW inverter line.

Believe that these relays are commonly available, still, from electronic parts houses.

Have not run any Magnum inverter, but a person whom I respect, has said that the Magnum inverters are slow, or at least a bit slow in regulating AC output voltage, IIRC. They do appear to be a good buy, but cannot say from experience.

All FWIW, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Belmont Solar
    Belmont Solar Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I would certainly choose Outback over Magnum or anything else if you do purchase a new inverter
  • Roger Thoms
    Roger Thoms Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I would certainly choose Outback over Magnum or anything else if you do purchase a new inverter

What makes the Magnum inverters so bad?

Roger

(4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 280 mono, (4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 285 mono, MidNite Solar MNPV6, IronRidge ground mount, (2) Morningstar TriStar TS-MPPT-60,  HUB-1,  TriStar TS-RM-2, Magnum Energy MagnaSine MS4024-PAE, MMP250-30D,  ME-ARC, (4) UPG UB4D 12v
  • Belmont Solar
    Belmont Solar Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Slow response for varying loads. They make good RV inverters but Outback is much better suited for the demands of loads in most off-grid homes
  • Roger Thoms
    Roger Thoms Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Thanks, wish I had found that out before I bought one. Just installed it at my off grid vacation home, seem to be working well, but I haven't really put it through it's paces. It replaced a Trace 812 modified square wave inverter, so I from my perspective it's a big improvement.

Roger

(4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 280 mono, (4) SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 285 mono, MidNite Solar MNPV6, IronRidge ground mount, (2) Morningstar TriStar TS-MPPT-60,  HUB-1,  TriStar TS-RM-2, Magnum Energy MagnaSine MS4024-PAE, MMP250-30D,  ME-ARC, (4) UPG UB4D 12v