Which solar generator to buy?

Zacked
Zacked Registered Users Posts: 2
I want to get a small solar power generator for charging small things like phones for my house. However, I don't know which ones will create enough power for that purpose. Would this be enough for my needs? If not, what sort of generator should I look for? Thanks for any input.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I don't really know... 10 Watt solar panel and 7 AH (lead acid?) battery of some sort. Plus something that may regulate for USB chargers and possibly supply AC power.

What you should really do is tell us more about your loads (12 VDC, 120 VAC) and how much power you will use (AH at what voltage; Watt*Hours at what voltage, etc.).

1. Conservation (saving power is almost always cheaper than generating power)
    2. Measure your power usage (over 24 hours, or whatever make sense for your needs)
    3. Do the Math. Where will the system be used (Canada vs Arizona). Size the battery bank, solar array, any support equipment (AC inverter). 1 day, 1 week, off grid for 9+ months, etc.
    4. Find equipment that will meet the above needs/calculations. You may do 2-4 or more paper designs to figure out the best system for you.
    5. Buy the equipment.

If all you want to do is recharge a few cell phones--Yes, it can do it (I think).

For USB chargers, you can find neat little USB volt/amp/watt*hour meters that will help you figure out your USB charging loads (always necessary for sizing a power system).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Zacked
    Zacked Registered Users Posts: 2
    Okay, thank you for the input. I don't have much experience with electrical work, so I didn't know where to start. I'll definitely take the steps you mentioned and see what I come up with.