2kw solar and wind system

JamesH
JamesH Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello!

I am currently working on an off-grid project and I'm wondering if I would be able to set up a 2kw wind and solar system. I want the system to work together to charge 6 48v 100ah batteries (600ah) altogether. Can someone please advise me on how to set this up and also that when the batteries are fully charged the system will automatically shut off. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
Thanks
James

Comments

• Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    JamesH wrote: »
    Hello!

I am currently working on an off-grid project and I'm wondering if I would be able to set up a 2kw wind and solar system. I want the system to work together to charge 6 48v 100ah batteries (600ah) altogether. Can someone please advise me on how to set this up and also that when the batteries are fully charged the system will automatically shut off. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
    Thanks
    James

Hi James,

More details would certainly help. Do you have any components yet or no? What kind of wind turbine? Generally, the simplest way to set this up is to connect the turbine directly to the batteries (assuming the nominal voltages match and you have rectified the AC) and charge control the batteries with a diversion controller like a morningstar tri-star. You would need a diversion load such as a water heating element or air resistor. Generally with small wind the turbine is always spinning and never shuts down, you are just "bleeding off" power from the batteries to keep them charged properly. The solar could also be directly connected, or you could use a separate solar charge controller depending on if you wanted mppt, what kind of panels you have, etc. Does this make sense? Do you have any experience with off grid power systems?
  • JamesH
    JamesH Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi James,

More details would certainly help. Do you have any components yet or no? What kind of wind turbine? Generally, the simplest way to set this up is to connect the turbine directly to the batteries (assuming the nominal voltages match and you have rectified the AC) and charge control the batteries with a diversion controller like a morningstar tri-star. You would need a diversion load such as a water heating element or air resistor. Generally with small wind the turbine is always spinning and never shuts down, you are just "bleeding off" power from the batteries to keep them charged properly. The solar could also be directly connected, or you could use a separate solar charge controller depending on if you wanted mppt, what kind of panels you have, etc. Does this make sense? Do you have any experience with off grid power systems?

Hi Ethan,
    I have not currently bought any of the parts for the system, but I do have a vision in mind. The wind turbine I'm looking to buy is a futurenergy 24v 1kw upwind turbine. This would then be connected to an emergency stop switch which in turn is connected to now two 400ah 24v batteries. These would be connected to a charge controller which would power an immersion heater and another connection going to a breaker which then powers the inverter. I may just a do a whole second system for the solars which would power a air thing (forgot what they are called) and then just connect them into the same inverter. The solar panels are 2 300w pv panels. Also no I have had no experience of off-grid systems, but am trying to save money and don't want to fork out more for installation. Many thanks
    -James
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    JamesH wrote: »

Hi Ethan,
    I have not currently bought any of the parts for the system, but I do have a vision in mind. The wind turbine I'm looking to buy is a futurenergy 24v 1kw upwind turbine. This would then be connected to an emergency stop switch which in turn is connected to now two 400ah 24v batteries. These would be connected to a charge controller which would power an immersion heater and another connection going to a breaker which then powers the inverter. I may just a do a whole second system for the solars which would power a air thing (forgot what they are called) and then just connect them into the same inverter. The solar panels are 2 300w pv panels. Also no I have had no experience of off-grid systems, but am trying to save money and don't want to fork out more for installation. Many thanks
    -James

Your proposed system is almost exactly what I have currently

As a general disclaimer on wind, make sure you read some of the other threads on this forum or elsewhere about whether/when wind is worth it and that you know what is involved with siting, tower, wind speed, etc. In the vast majority of cases, one is better off putting their money into more PV.

I think that turbine rectifies the AC in the nacelle so the setup would go like this: wind turbine ->stop/shorting switch> battery. Then also connected to the battery would be solar input (probably through a charge controller but you could directly connect and have the diversion controllers take care of it depending on the voltage of your solar modules, if you want MPPT, distance, etc), inverter, and diversion charge controller(s). I would recommend the tri-star controllers and not the xantrex C series as the latter is very slow to respond to changes the diversion rate in response to voltage.