Need new solar controller,recommendations?

Options
I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty RV. It came with a 90 watt Solec panel, Heliotrope RV-30 controller (charges dual battery banks-engine battery 5 amps and coach batteries 30 amps to four T-105 Trojans). This summer I added two BP 125 watt solar panels wired in parallel for 340 watts total. They are 17.5 volts like the Solec. Controller wasn't working as connecting wires had come loose. I fixed them by epoxying the wiring harness back on the panel, though connections not resoldered, they seemed to connect and gave readings for panel amps, engine battery voltage and coach battery voltage. Jury rigged I know. Worked for two months, panels put out a high of 24 amps (clear sky, solar noon, 9600' elevation), recharged batteries well but controller panel sure got hot. Now the controller is acting strange, weird readings, at times LED going blank, though does seem to charge batteries but not always sure and I'm ready to replace it with state of art controller. What would work best?
I want the dual battery charging feature of the RV-30 and see four manufactures that offer dual charging-Blue Sky 2512ix (25 amps), MorningStar Dual (25 amps), Heliotrope HPV-22 (22 amps) and HPV-30 DR (30amps) and Go Power GPSC-12v-40. Many of these are rated 25 amps. Is this enough amp rating for my system? Should I be looking at 30 amp minumum? Any better ideas for my set-up? Can I utilize the MTTP technology with the different panels?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need new solar controller,recommendations?

see if this will fit your requirements:
    http://store.solar-electric.com/modubachco25.html
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

We are less than impressed with the Heliotrope ones, which is why we don't sell them. I think the Heliotrope name/trademark is on about it's 6th or 7th owner in 15 years now.

The Blue Sky are MPPT and will give you about 10-25% more power (at more cost of course).
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks for replies. I have narrowed my selection to the Blue Sky 2512ix or the Morningstar Sunsaver Duo. I have three PV panels: two BP 125 watts and one 90 watt Solec for a total of 340 watts. They have produced a high of 24 amps (July, solar noon, 9000' elevation). Are these controllers big enough for what I have? Will the MPPT work with different panels even though they are rated at around 17.5 volts? My concern about the 2512ix is the manual cautions to limit it to 20 amps. This sound right? I don't want to spend good money on a controller that is too small. Thanks ahead of time!
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Morningstar Duo is not an MPPT controller. And, MPPT is not much help (if any) in the summer when PV modules are hot and their output voltage is low.

Trojan’s recommended “daily charge” (absorb) voltage for their 12 V flooded-cell batteries is 14.8 V (ref 80 F). See here: http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance/Charging.aspx

The Duo should work well enough, but it won’t be optimal. It features disconnect protection against high PV array current. But, its absorb voltage setting is 14.4 V, which is a tad on the low side for Trojan batteries.

An alternative solution (though more expensive) would be to use a pair of Morningstar controllers. One would be a TriStar TS45 with the optional remote meter panel and remote battery temp sensor. This controller’s charge voltage is user adjustable over a wide range. The 125 W modules and Trojan batteries could be permanently connected to this controller.

The other controller could be a small Sunsaver model connected to the RV’s chassis battery. A DPDT switch (or relay) between the 90 W module and the controllers could assign it to either charge the chassis battery or help out with the house batteries.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer