Connecting Gen to AC1 Workaround for "Input Relay Failure" Error

Options
AlanRT
AlanRT Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
We have a customer with a Xantrex 5548 Inverter produced in May 2002 that has started displaying an "Input Relay Failure" error now when the backup gen is running. Xantrex indicates this is a known software issue and there is a chip replacement available.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/477/docserve.aspx

We'll need to get the replacement part shipped down to Baja. In the meantime, I'm thinking we might try connecting the gen to AC1 in an attempt to temporarily workaround the error. Does anyone know if there are any issues with connecting the gen to AC1? I'm thinking that, at worst, we'll just get the same error.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Connecting Gen to AC1 Workaround for "Input Relay Failure" Error

I tried this once and you guessed it, same failure! But I would try it in case it is another issue!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Since this is only NOW happening, Its possible that the relay is actually welded closed, not just a software message. This release was almost 6 years ago , so unless the customer just starting using the generator, I'd think the unit has an actual relay failure
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

Or is the generator running out of spec. for the frequency and need some maintenance (or could this be a replacement genset)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • AlanRT
    Options
    generator running out of spec
    - Highly likely. They have had this problem before, and it's an old gen. If I understand correctly, the new software will make this error go away even if the gen is out of spec.
    Its possible that the relay is actually welded closed
    - Good point. We'll check. I could not find much information on the cause(s) of this error. A Google search on "input relay failure" turned up almost nothing other than the reference to the Xantrex bulletin. And I couldn't find anything about this error in these forums.

Question: Are the Xantrex relays plug in units or are they actually soldered to the board? If the AC2 really is bad, I'm thinking we can swap out the AC2 relay with the AC1.
  • AlanRT
    Options

I got my answer from Xantrex tech support about the relays. They're soldered to the board.

The tech I spoke with was not familiar with this issue, and seemed a little uncertain about sending me the updated firmware without charging $125 for it, even though this inverter is confirmed to be running the older firmware. The tech bulletin says it's free, and seems to indicate it's a good idea to carry a spare set for field repairs.

He wanted me to first confirm whether or not we actually have a welded relay before sending me the updated firmware. I'm now waiting for a call back after he confers with another tech.

His suggestion as to how to identify where the problem is was to disconnect the inverter from the batts for 10 minutes to reset the firmware. This, of course, will erase all the inverter's programming. Not a great solution.

He also said it would be OK to try connecting the gen to AC1, just cautioned to check that the inverter wasn't programmed in "Sell" mode.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Keep in mind, the tech note is from 2003 ( as to the info about free ) and the inverter is many years past warranty coverage. I'm actually surprised they offer any help as the entire SW line has been end-of-life already, only third party tech's now repair them
  • clandau
    clandau Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    This was very helpful in resolving my "Input Relay failure" error. I've attached the bulletin that I think was referred to. The software with the problem reports its version as "Revision 4.20". The version with the fix is "SW Series Revision 4.20".