odyssey inverter

miloolim
miloolim Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello, I'm new here, any one purchased an odyssey inverter or know anything about them? This is what I'm looking at:http://www.solarodyssey.us/2000w-2000-watt-48v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-4000w-peak-48-vdc-to-110-vac-60hz-detail

Comments

• Brlux
    Brlux Solar Expert Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much other than it is a Chinese inverter that is rebranded and sold by many different resellers.

At CES 2015 I saw a company out of Utah displaying identical looking inverters. They were looking for vendors to re sell their inverters. They had the inverter hooked up to a scope with no load on the inverter, and the sine wave looked very clean, they did not demo it with a load. Once I started asking more technical questions that were not on the speck sheets they quickly said they did not know and were just the distributors for the inverters.

They did have a very large range of wattage and voltage input/output. All the inverters were obviously from the same series and shared similar exterior styling while differing in size. They shared a price sheet with me and I was fairly impressed with the pricing.

I can not say how good of an inverter they are but as with most Chinese designed and produced products I would expect significant shortcomings.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Brlux wrote: »

I can not say how good of an inverter they are but as with most Chinese designed and produced products I would expect significant shortcomings.
    Perhaps more importantly significant variability.
    I have seen posts with photos of two different branded inverters with same external appearance and identical specs.
    Inside, they even used the exact same circuit board.
    But one of them was cleanly assembled using high quality components and the other was badly soldered and stuffed with crap components. The problem is that until you get it, you don't know where yours falls along that scale.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    The Chinese do not follow ISO standards. Which means there can be a mother board that is duplicative, but the architecture of components are not of the same sequence or testing to meet ISO certification. This is actually step one, before meeting UL certification on safety, which is step 2.
  • miloolim
    miloolim Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help guys. I bought this instead slightly used on ebay for $550 shipped!!! http://www.amazon.com/COTEK-ST2500-148/dp/B00EWCY4BI