Low Useage Tv's

backroad
backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
Has anyone come across a comparison of power useage between a tube type television and LCD and plasma? I'm currently using a 27" and a 36" tube type. I also plan on using my high power amps and home theatre, but I'm probably going to have to run the generator when I want this feature.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated. NOTE: I'm totally off grid with about 1200 watts of panels, 12 Crown 395ah batteries and an Outback 3524 inverter.

Thanx,
Dennis Webster
Bagdad, Arizona

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis,

My old 32" CRT-type TV was rated at 180 W max, and 2 W in standby mode. My new 46" LCD HD TV is rated at 240 W max, and 0.1 W in standby mode. The 40" version is rated at 200 W max.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Your best bet--get a kill-a-watt meter and measure some real TV's... LCD's can be energy hogs because they have a very bright backlight on 100% of the time.

http://store.solar-electric.com/kiacpomome.html

Tube type TV's actually use less energy for dark scenes.

Name Plate ratings do not always properly represent the actual average power of a device.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dulley
    dulley Registered Users Posts: 18
    I have a daewoo Plasma 46'' The power consupition is 400 watts I could not find the standby
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Was just reading the other day, but can't find it now, however, the info really surprised me. From memory (If I find the source, I'll post it up):

Per square inch of screen.

A) Least power hungry - - - Rear projection (Not what I had expected at all)

B) CRT AND LCD, were next and roughly the same. (I had expected LCD to be the lowest consumption of all types)

C) Most power hungry was Plasma. In general a LOT more power hungry.

There was indications that the next generation LCD will be greatly improved, both in picture quality AND have a substantial reduction in power consumption.

Wayne
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    that's an interesting general order of things as the better the picture, the lousier the power consumption.
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    my 42" daewoo plasma we got a few yrs ago uses much less than the big crt we had (which was almost 400w actual power usage i recall). ill measure later. the ratings, as someone said, are never accurate realtime use captured with a kill-a-watt is really needed.
  • backroad
    That's interesting information. I'm another one that would have thought that the LCD would have a bunch lower useage. I did understand that the Plasma was the worst. Still, I have to get away from the rear projection units because of the maintenance in the dusty desert.
  • lamplight
    YEP: MY 42" PLASMA IS RATED FOR 260W AND (oops) it uses between 220 and 240 (most of the time between 230 and 240, depending on brightness of picture.
  • solarhills
    solarhills Registered Users Posts: 7
    lcd power consumption

Some plasmas can acutally be better than lcds of the same size. Try getting a friendly salesperson in a big gox store to let you bring in your meter and check some models.

The key to lcd is to get a model with a dimable lamp. By reducing the brightness you can drop the power considerably. You don't need all that brightness in a normally lit room.
  • solarhills
    Re: Low Useage Tv's

Here are some actual readings:

42" Panny 42pWD8 plasma: 100watts darker material to 220 watts bright white stuff. Most falls in the 160 watt range. One key is to turn down the brightness, and get a better picture to boot.

Samsung 20" LCD rated at 55 watts reads 50watt constant.

Samsung 17" LCD 43 watts constant
  • BB.

I cruised by the "TV Page" and it looks like they only rate them for energy star if the standby power is like 1 watt or less... Nothing listing the power on usage.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • backroad

I guess there's not really a major difference in the various TV's, but a person can save a little power if necessary. My wife is now on disability and is home 24/7 and our television (s) on almost all the time. Must be time for a couple of extra panels, HUH?

Thanx a bunch for all the help........

Dennis in Bagdad, AZ.........
  • lamplight

if anyone has any info on new technologies out and available in large screen (42"+) high def tv's please post here. im just waiting for the excuse to upgrade but want to make sure its a lower power model than what we have now

oh just fyi something i forgot to add: the daewoo's are HORRIBLE at standby losses, ours was at least 7w as i recall.

I see wayne read that rear projection was lowest,
    anyone have a rear projection dlp measured power usage? they have some great sales on them, im not sure how much space they take up which might prevent that from going in our place.
  • BB.

I have a no-name 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (has HDMI Inputs + analog NTSC broadcast TV receiver). It measures at 1 watt on standby (my 10 year old CD/Stereo measures around 40 watts in standby).

I have a Korean stand-a-lone DTV digital receiver that stays warm even when "turned off". I presume it is because it is really on 24/7 receiving DTV signals so that it can display the onscreen TV listings. It takes around 5-10 minutes or so to populate the Listings when turned on from a cold start.

So, I just have everything that draws significant power (>1 watt or so) that is not used 24 hours per day (intercom, wireless router, etc.), on power strips so that I can turn things off when not used. (even my digitally controlled washer/drier use about 9 watts total on standby--a little more power than I actually use for washing/drying clothes (gas drier) for four people.

The Kill-a-Watt is one handy little device.

-Bill
  • backroad

I finally picked up a Kill-o-watt meter (actually 2) and I'm in real shock with my almost 10 year old 36", tube type TV. Would you believe it only consumes 85 watts? & only 1 watt on standby. I did have to test it with both meters.
    SIDENOTE: Our 2&1/2 year old sears, 19cu.ft, energy star refrigerator uses 1.1KW per day. This is right in the ballpark.

Our Direct TV receiver consumes 8 watts turned on and 7 watts on stdby.

I've been running around the house checking everything I can think of and came up with a sleeping/night time savings of about 40 watts. I thought it was pretty cool and also made the battery bank a bunch happier in the morning.
  • BB.

Congratulations... Yes, one can get very surprised about how much (or how little) power different appliances use. I have a 15 year old CD/Stereo that draws more power on standby than my laptop turned on and running. That stereo is now only plugged in when I want to play something.

-Bill
  • paulstamser
    paulstamser Solar Expert Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

I use a 7" B&W 12 volt DC TV that I paid $16.99 brandnew. Coby brand. It uses 12 watts.
  • solarhills

Just got a Vizio 26" lcd HD TV. 75 watts with the backlight all the way up, 60 watts at 50%, and 48 watts at 0. You can turn the backlight all the way down without loss of picture quality. It's a matter of preference of course but it is amazing what you can do with the new lcds.