UPS12-540MR and Xantrex XW MPPT-60-150 setup

I need help how should I program the charge controller I have 12 batteries and am planning a 24 volt system I have 6 250 watt panels
200ah LiFePO4 24v Electrodacus Sbms40 quad breaker chest freezer to fridge- Samlex PST 1524 - Samlex pst3024  - 1hp shallow well pump-Marey 4.3 GPM on demand waterheater - mama bear Fisher wood burning stove, 30" fridgarair oven ,fridegaire dishwasher  Unique 290l stainless D.C. Fridge-unique 120l portable fridge/freezer 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What is the amp hour rating of the battery bank?

Is this a back up system or fill time of grid?

Type of battery?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi j s,

OK, from the title of this thread, it appears that you are planning on using a battery bank that is composed of six strings of two of these batteries, which appear to be about 150 - 160 AH SLA batteries. So you would have about 930 AH nominal battery Capacity.

These appear to be a common UPS battery, from the search results ...

However, you should try to find exact charge specifications from the manufacturer of the battery.

It seems most likely that these SLAs are probably Gel type batteries, So, there might well be a limitation on the Maximum charge current into any/all strings of batteries.

The programming of your MPPT Charge Controller (CC) will depend upon the exact information that you receive from the battery manufacturer.

As an aside, I did search for your previous posts, but of the six that you are noted as having made, only this one was visible -- it is often helpful to try to find out more about what you are trying to do, either from a Signature line, and/or from previous posts, BUT, due to the sporty Upgrade to the Forum software, we are quite limited in what we can see in historic posts, images, and many other things ... OH, think that we are don ragging on Vbulletin software ... sorry ...

So, guess that this is a backup power system, that runs and charges from the grid, when it is available, OR Solar, but runs a UPS when needed ... or ... just what is it that you are doing?

Thanks, VIc
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • just starting
    just starting Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Sorry i cant sign on on my phone yes on the six of two and the battery's are 147 amp hour have a 70 foot run from array to cc using 6 awg in liquid tight 3/4 off grid have a magnum rd2824 olny running lights and 32" led tv and x box 360 and a freezer that i put in a digital thermocouple to make a fridge and a 12 volt water pump run from a 12 to 24 volt converter
    200ah LiFePO4 24v Electrodacus Sbms40 quad breaker chest freezer to fridge- Samlex PST 1524 - Samlex pst3024  - 1hp shallow well pump-Marey 4.3 GPM on demand waterheater - mama bear Fisher wood burning stove, 30" fridgarair oven ,fridegaire dishwasher  Unique 290l stainless D.C. Fridge-unique 120l portable fridge/freezer 
  • Vic
    Hi just starting,

Thanks for the added information on your system.

These batteries may well be an Industry Standard design, and therefore, charge info may be fairly consistent from one battery to the next ...
    BUT, please try contacting the manufacturer of your exact batteries to get information on:

Maximum charge current per battery string
    Absorption voltage for daily cyclical charge
    Suggested method to end daily Absorption stage (Ending Current ? Max time, etc)
    Float voltage for daily charging
    Temperature coefficient of battery voltage

Did not see a reference to the Charge Controller (CC) that you are using with the PV modules.
    Please tell us what CC you are using.

With Sealed batteries, it is very, very important to use a Remote Temperature Sensor (RTS or BTS) on all charge sources, and also find out the correct battery voltage temperature coefficient to set into the CC and perhaps Inverter/charger to compensate the charge/Float voltages for changes in battery temperature. These Sealed batteries are VERY sensitive to Maximum charge voltage, as well as correct charge/Float voltages for proper charging.

One other important thing, is that with the many parallel battery strings that you are using, monitoring how well each string is sharing charge and discharge currents is very important. A DC Clamp Ammeter will help you monitor this current sharing, and help you know when to try to rebalance the strings to get sharing current where it needs to be.

More Later, Thanks, Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • just starting
    xantrex 60-150 mppt
  • just starting
    i have an inverter charger that needs the com box to program to the agm bank i will post photos when i get them up
  • Vic
    xantrex 60-150 mppt

Hi just starting ... DUUHHHH!, It is in the Title, and just forgot, or cannot read, thanks!!

OK, so your batteries are AGM, could not find that info, in a quick search on the battery model number. In general, AGM batteries are much more tolerant and robust than are Gels, IMO.

Do you know if the batteries are specified for cyclic use, or just intended to remain on Float 99.99% of the time?

And, for multiple strings of batteries the smartguage site has info on best approaches for interconnections, if you have not seen/done this already:
    http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Thanks, Vic