Can I power down an FM or MX 60 CC?

Options
Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
I have breakers for my PV panels, but the CCs were not installed with a battery breaker....is there a softkey combination that will power them down? I am doing some rewiring and would like to power them down for safety....
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Freewilley wrote: »
    I have breakers for my PV panels, but the CCs were not installed with a battery breaker....is there a softkey combination that will power them down? I am doing some rewiring and would like to power them down for safety....

That is dangerous. You must have a breaker between the battery and the CC. Of course, it is convenient to have a breaker as a switch, but much more important is to have over current protection. When controllers fail (and they do fail), they often fail as a short circuit across the battery.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    would like to power them down for safety....

WEll as VTmaps said you want to install a CB of appropriate size for your loads... on the positive line

guess you will just have to go cold turkey and do the disconnect...on the positive lead..

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Freewilley
    Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Options
    So there is no power down function?
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
    12 volt Flojet water pump
    off grid summer home in northern Ontario
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So there is no power down function?

Power down is to first disconnect the panels from the charge controller, DC circuit breaker can be excellent for this - - THEN disconnect the battery bank from the CC, again a DC breaker can work great for this.
    To power up, first connect the battery bank, allow the CC to get it's act together, then connect the PV.
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    Pull the CC positive cable off the battery bank.............. Then see the advice above before reconnecting.

Your battery bank is a bomb being controlled by sensitive electronics. Best not to cut any corners.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alaska Man wrote: »
    Pull the CC positive cable off the battery bank.............. .

And hope there are no sparks when you do. Far better IMO, to employee a proper breaker that can be used as a switch, or a proper DC switch along with a properly sized fuse.