need repair ideas for a sma sunnyboy 2500U

I would like to start a thread for ideas on repairing a sma 2500u sunnyboy.
I have a 10kw PV system 11 years old, 4- 2500 watt strings connected to 4- 2500u SB.

One of my 2500u just died and I would like to hear some ideas for fixing it.
since I have 3 working 2500u I swapped dc inputs and ac outputs and the problem stayed with the bad 2500u.
I also swapped out the ground fault board and the memory/display board and still no change.

When I shut off the ac and dc and let the SB bleed down then power up the ac then dc, the 3 leds come on and then
the green led blinks for a few seconds then the green led goes out and the orange led does it's 5 second light and then it blinks 5 times , the display reads "error: disturbance"

I know that over time the electrolytic capacitors dry out or leak, viewing the board I don't see any indication of any leaking capacitors. I don't have a clue on what to try for a repair. SMA will not repair it, they do offer a discount on a new model (very small discount when you count their shipping charges) you must return the broken SB.

I would appreciate any help I can get to fix my 11 year old 2500u SB

Thanks,
Don

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: need repair ideas for a sma sunnyboy 2500U

Here is a thread from 2013 asking the same question:

SMA no longer repairs swr 2500 inverters who does?

There was one person that posted he repairs them.

Otherwise, I don't think there was any solution found.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • xolar
    xolar Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭

Some of these inverters had an EEPROM failure that plugged up the memory causing it to crash, I cant remember what the failure code was but I just happen to have some extra EEPROMs that they sent me back in the day and a recent copy of the eeprom swap out. What are the numbers on your eeprom? PM me as I am not usually here on the weekdays.

X
  • syncmaster
    syncmaster Registered Users Posts: 3
    xolar wrote: »
    Some of these inverters had an EEPROM failure that plugged up the memory causing it to crash, I cant remember what the failure code was but I just happen to have some extra EEPROMs that they sent me back in the day and a recent copy of the eeprom swap out. What are the numbers on your eeprom? PM me as I am not usually here on the weekdays.

X

Yes, I had this eprom problem but then I got the new eprom program and that fixed it. I also got a extra set of new eproms that I still have.
    The problem was the inverter would be writing to memory and the sun went down so the inverter did not finish writing to memory, so when the inverter turned on the next day and it tried to read the data in the memory it would error out. the new proms are: BFRGR_E=V8.922 AND SRRGR_E=V8.90

Thanks for your input
    Don
  • syncmaster
    syncmaster Registered Users Posts: 3
    BB. wrote: »
    Here is a thread from 2013 asking the same question:

SMA no longer repairs swr 2500 inverters who does?

There was one person that posted he repairs them.

Otherwise, I don't think there was any solution found.

-Bill

I read that thread and I found the guy that does repairs.
    his email is Hanssmitd at Gmail dot com (located in calif.)
    right now he is selling a REFURBISHED 2500u for $900.00 with a 90 day warranty.
    see attachment for more info
    I can buy a new sma 3000 tl-us-22 for $1200.00 with 10 year warranty.
    he was willing to fix mine for $400.00 plus shipping (about $300.00 NY to Calif and back)

Thanks,
    Don
  • greensolarelectric
    greensolarelectric Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi where are you located? I can probably fix your inverter. Or I have two working inverters in stock.

see my ebay as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131189730208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.greensolarelectric.com/Inverterrepair.html

syncmaster wrote: »
    I have a 10kw PV system 11 years old, 4- 2500 watt strings connected to 4- 2500u SB.

since I have 3 working 2500u I swapped dc inputs and ac outputs and the problem stayed with the bad 2500u.
    I also swapped out the ground fault board and the memory/display board and still no change.

When I shut off the ac and dc and let the SB bleed down then power up the ac then dc, the 3 leds come on and then
    the green led blinks for a few seconds then the green led goes out and the orange led does it's 5 second light and then it blinks 5 times , the display reads "error: disturbance"

I know that over time the electrolytic capacitors dry out or leak, viewing the board I don't see any indication of any leaking capacitors. I don't have a clue on what to try for a repair. SMA will not repair it, they do offer a discount on a new model (very small discount when you count their shipping charges) you must return the broken SB.

Thanks,
    Don
  • keyslammer
    keyslammer Registered Users Posts: 1
    syncmaster wrote: »

Thanks,
    Don

Does anyone have the schematic diagram for these units? I have two SWR 2500U inverters, each with two strings. One of the inverters stopped producing power, green LED is ON...and it is humming...but no PAC power is going out. The other symptom is that the green light remains lit even through the night (and the inverter hums)...so the AC is somehow backfeeding or coupling to the DC side. I would like to dig into this and repair this unit before the next one fails. I'd like to at least do some of the initial trouble shooting, and need a schematic for that. Does anybody have that??

Oh...I called SMA and they told me that the failure I described was a common one. So this must be a typical aging component failure. PROBABLY a capacitor failure...but the other suspects would be a blocking or switching diode. I'll bet it isn't too hard to repair...but if anybody has seen this problem, or can recommend what to check/replace...I would be very grateful.

SMA also offered to sell me a new unit for more than $500 more than what I can get one on eBay for...$700 after shipping...so I didn't bite. There is NO REBATE/UPGRADE BENEFIT...so don't bother buying directly from SMA.

Feel free to PM (personal message) me if you have the design schematic for these inverters. THANKS!
  • Cor
    Cor Registered Users Posts: 2
    I presume that the Ebay guy repairing the Sunny Boys is "compuhans" because I recognise the text in his current Ebay ads.
    Some time ago I bought a SB6000 that did not have the (now required) ARC fault detection.
    I searched and found an external Arc fault detection unit with a relay output and I am in the process of interfacing that to my SB6000.
    Unfortunately I did something that the Sunny Boy did not like and it is now also showing Ground Fault even without ground connected...
    So, I am taking my Sunny Boy apart to trace the circuit that does the ground fault detection and sends the result to the processor.
    I hope to be able to relate soon how this progresses - both the repair and the addition of the external ARC fault detection unit.
    BTW, I am also in California, more specifically in Silicon Valley.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Cor wrote: »
    I presume that the Ebay guy repairing the Sunny Boys is "compuhans" because I recognise the text in his current Ebay ads.
    Some time ago I bought a SB6000 that did not have the (now required) ARC fault detection.
    I searched and found an external Arc fault detection unit with a relay output and I am in the process of interfacing that to my SB6000.
    Unfortunately I did something that the Sunny Boy did not like and it is now also showing Ground Fault even without ground connected...
    So, I am taking my Sunny Boy apart to trace the circuit that does the ground fault detection and sends the result to the processor.
    I hope to be able to relate soon how this progresses - both the repair and the addition of the external ARC fault detection unit.
    BTW, I am also in California, more specifically in Silicon Valley.

Is the inverter transformerless or is your system DC grounded? The GF detection schemes for those two situations are very different; you may have a compatibility issue between your inverter and the AF detection device.
  • Cor
    Cor Registered Users Posts: 2
    ggunn wrote: »
    Is the inverter transformerless or is your system DC grounded? The GF detection schemes for those two situations are very different; you may have a compatibility issue between your inverter and the AF detection device.
    The SB6000U has a transformer. The AF detection unit is isolated, that is why you can connect it in line with the DC solar string, it responds to changes in current through the DC wiring, those are detected via a magnetic pickup coil similar to a current transformer.
  • bnes`
    bnes` Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    There are a few individuals still repairing the old SMA units, and good for them.  I had luck with

707-621-5107
    info@greensolarelectric.com
    Covelo, CA 95428
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compuhans on eBay repairs and sells older Sunny Boy inverters. He is located in Agoura Hills (Southern Calif.)

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.