600 RPM, 10,000 watts, 3 gals diesel used in 12 hours.

Check out this really nice setup this guy has using a slow running fuel effeiciant diesel providing 10,000 watts of backup power. http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html
arcandspark

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Arcn'

Thanks for this post ... very interesting. Have been looking for a low speed Diesel gen, 1200 RPM in my case. This is a bit too much of a project for me.

But very interesting indeed. Thanks Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    To me, it's a truly beautiful machine and what an awesome sound that engine makes! Seriously, I love it and could sleep beside that wonderful, steady, throbbing engine all night long, as happy as a baby in his mothers arms. Perhaps it's a throwback to when I was a child and my grandfather had a diesel powered saw mill. I remember it well.
    Wayne
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Re: 600 RPM, 10,000 watts, 3 gals diesel used in 12 hours.

There are a couple of place's here in the US that offer these with electric starts, but they get a lot of dollars for them. I believe the single cylinder, 6 hp model starts at about $1450 and they go up to about $3,000 depending on what you want.

This is my first year off the grid and the place I bought came with a 1980 Chinese Diesel generator setup that's got an 8kw generator head. Of course the previous owners said it was recently rebuilt and low hours. HUM? Wonder why the head gasket is leaking. It's a horizontal, single cylinder and the engine itself makes more noise than the exhaust, even running at 1850 rpm. Yes, it is loud.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is a long, detailed log, of a guy's trials with an imported diesel generator. Pretty interesting read.

By the way, this is one of the owners of GPSinformation.net--A great place to look around if you are into any information regarding GPS's.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭

That fella's got a bunch more patience that I have. It's a good thing that his is completely different than my "chinese" unit and of course mine is an old 1980 one. HUM, am I trying to convince myself that mine will of course be different.... :):):)
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I have a nearly identical Lister,Model SL2 We bought it used in 1965. It has been used in seasonal service ever since. (It has sort of been retired, since I now live there nearly full time and have solarized the place).

Mine is rated at 8hp and it is coupled to a factory installed Russel Hipwell 5kw genset. It puts out 240vac. I rebuilt the engine about 20 years ago after I holed a piston for some mysterious reason. It has run perfectly since. For some reason it doesn't carry electric motor loads however. I suspect that the govener spring is tired.

It burns less than a quart an hour at full load. When I run it, I run a dummy load of heater elements to let it work. It is hand crank, manual de-compression levers, manual stop. Air cooled and very noisy, but music to some peoples ears!

I would love to pass it on to someone who would use it, but since it is on a island, 6 miles from shore, 125kms from town, I suspect it is going to die there. If anyone has a hankering for it let me know.

Ps I also have a 1948 Onan 3.5kw 120vac gas generator. It was bought used in 1950 and still runs perfect. The only part I have ever replaced ('cept for points and plugs)! is the fuel pump. I have a fleet of other generators, all retired because of solar, (and Honda eu technology)!

I'd consider letting this one go as well,,,maybe. At least I could move this one. The Lister must weigh 2000#

Icarus

PS Don't even ask about the antique outboard collection!