strand or solid wire

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
if you were running 85 ft of 6 awg from an inverter to a service panel would you use solid wire romex or only stranded copper..??

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi ws..,

Generally a run of this length might well be in conduit, perhaps underground. So, under these conditions, IMO, it would be easier and better to use stranded wire. There might be other unknown factors that could affect how this cable run should be done, and what conductors to use, etc.

FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • froggersix
    froggersix Solar Expert Posts: 35
    solid is much cheaper. you only need to use stranded when you need flexible. electricity doesn't care.
  • JoshK
    JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
    An electrician would use solid, so I would too. Aside from being cheaper, it also is less likely to have stretch damage that you can't see from pulling too hard. The stiffness also helps keep it away from hot or sharp surfaces as time goes on because of less droop. But both should work fine if you take care.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is to be inspected, you need to ask the building department what they require. If you want advice, you really need to give more information like others have asked or assumed.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ws9876
    thanks solid romex is cheaper and this is above ground so I will use solid 2 wire with ground.
  • JoshK
    JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
    ws9876 wrote: »
    this is above ground

If this is outdoors be sure to put it inside conduit. If you don't a sharp rock and a rainy day could kill someone.
    If this is permanent, please rent a trencher and install it right so accidents don't happen.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    What, specifically, are you referring to as Romex?,... to me that is a guarded cable pair plus ground, with flex guarding for interior use .... just so we are all clear.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    What, specifically, are you referring to as Romex?,... to me that is a guarded cable pair plus ground, with flex guarding for interior use .... just so we are all clear.

But you could also have solid type UF (underground feeder) that is direct burial and I have seen building inspectors call it Romex, not that the inspector knows but we pretty much let them have their way. They can really delay a project so no arguments from me. Do you have inspections with the new home?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dave, no inspection required out west where we are, but for a variety of reasons I am having the AC done by a licensed electrician.
    Mainly though, a few years ago the Provincial Government brought in the new 'Home Warranty Insurance' program that requires the builder to prove the work was done by a qualified person and warranted for 2/5/10 years on labour/envelope/structure. Owner builders are exempt but I have had several trades people, so it gets mixed up...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    In most industrial and commercial applications a stranded wire is used and very seldom is a solid wire used, but most of the wire is either in conduit or cable ways.
    If you use conduit a stranded wire is way easier to pull, especially if you have a few turns. Running # 6 solid wire 85 feet could be task by itself.
  • ws9876
    its an inside run..i wont use conduit... i need a pos and neg so 6/2 will work. I will ground the inverter separately to another rod ...Morningstar said that is ok..
    Later a bigger inverter will be substituted. I can get a used Outback 3048 used cheap in the next couple years.
    btw I collect equipment here and there...2 years ago I bought a new KID controller for 230. Now they are almost 2 times that.glad I did.
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    ws9876 wrote: »
    if you were running 85 ft of 6 awg from an inverter to a service panel would you use solid wire romex or only stranded copper..??

Well #6 romex is stranded - maybe by "solid" you mean a cable assembly as opposed to single conductors? I generally stay away from romex bigger than #8 because the NEC ampacity stinks and its super expensive. I would use THHN in EMT and use the EMT as the equipment ground, or if i needed a cable assembly, I would use aluminum SE/SER cable.

Regarding grounding the inveter, read "suresine 300" in the off grid forum.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    6ga, stay with stranded. Solid 6ga almost needs a pipe bender to form it with out breaking the covering.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.