Ryobi 2200 inverter gen tripping

Options
kaipo_boy
kaipo_boy Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
I'm still trying to piece my system together and don't have the PV panels hooked up yet... but have most of the other pieces so couldn't resist connecting things up and trying them out.

4 GC series Interstate Batteries (6v each, for 24v system at about 208ah)
40A Iota charger plugged into Ryobi 2200w inverter generator
Midnite Kid
1.5kw Cotek inverter

My PV panels aren't hooked up yet (still building mounting system) so all energy depleted from the battery bank must be replaced by the generator since I'm only in testing mode sofar. So, last night I hooked up the inverter to a small load, a chest type 7cu ft freezer to run it till dawn. Measured draw of the freezer was around 3.9A going into the Cotek (24v). Interestingly, even while the compressor was off, the freezer still drew a permanent 0.4A while just sitting there. Battery bank was maybe 25.4v to start and this morning was near 24.8v so I hooked up the Iota and fired up my brand new Ryobi which is rated at 2200w starting, 1800w sustained loads...
The Ryobi 'overload' LED flickered but it was a very rapid flickering, and would run for maybe 30 seconds or so at high rpm then the circuit breaker on the Ryobi would kick off and the rpms would drop to idle... I reset the breaker and rpms immediately picked up and it ran again maybe antoher 30 seconds and kicked off again. Ugh.

So, I got out the Fluke and did some measurements; the amps going from the Iota to the battery bank while the generator was running, was about 43 or 44A. This was at a little over 27v, so I come up with a tad under 1200w.... this generator is supposed to be rated at 1800w sustained. I was not able to measure the AC draw of the Iota from the genny, only the DC output from the Iota to the batteries. Before I cut into any AC lines to get a measurement of the draw of the Iota from the genny, I thought I'd post here first. What gives? Even considering a good deal of inefficiency of conversion in the Iota, wouldn't my actual DC output be considerably under the Ryobi's rated sustained output? why is the circuit breaker kicking off?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi kaipo ..,

Just to get things rolling here ...

Have not used any of the Iota Chargers, but have read here, that when the charger is first turned on, it has a very high inrush current. And, IIRC, it has been stated that these chargers have a poor Power Factor, which could tax the genset.

Sounds like this genset may be an Inverter type, which may further reduce its Surge capability ... dunno. Just a drive-by. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • kaipo_boy
    Options
    Arrggh! Just found an old thread on this issue... seems the Iotas are monumentally inefficent? With the numbers I've mentioned, it means the OUTPUT of the Iota is around 1200w. If we assume around 60% efficiency (I was assuming something close to 80%), we are right at 2000w... and my Ryobi is rated at 1800w continuous, 2200w surge. So that's why it will power it around 30 seconds then trip out... I'm JUST over the continuous rated capacity of 1800w so the efficiency is something close to the 60% mark. Damn! Anyone with any solutions around this one?
    To get more serious data, I'd have to measure the INPUT into the Iota, but my clamp meter would have to go around a single one of the a/c lines in the input cord going into the Iota... and I don't want to cut that cord. The amount of current just exceeds the ability of my kill-a-watt meter (1600w). Suggestions?

How are you guys with similar small systems bulking up the battery bank with an EU2000i? it's continuous rating is 1600w yes? do I have to just bite the bullet and order the DLS-27-25 instead? Is there a way to reduce down the draw slightly a couple hundred watts so that we can accomodate the Ryobi?
  • Brlux
    Brlux Solar Expert Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just some thoughts. Try powering up the IOTA before attaching it to the battery. If it is like the 12V version I have there is an RJ11 port for their pendant type charge controller. If you dont have the controller you can plug in a loop back type cable to up the output voltage slightly. It probably came with this cable installed. If you remove it the voltage will drop and as a result the output current. You may have to pull the RJ11 plug to charge when your batteries are depleted.

For reference I have had success running my 45A 12V IOTA on a Honda EU1000 which is rated for 900W continuously. It seemed like it did have a poor power factor but I would have to look more in to it.

The 0.4A draw was probably mostly comprised of your inverter idle power consumption.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I doubt your Generator can power a 24v charger of more than 25 amps or so. IOTAs have a poor PF and the starting surge is to great.
  • kaipo_boy
    Options
    Brlux, thanks but I think my DLS has the IQ4 built in so the RJ11 plug is disabled.
    I see that SteveK went through this already, looking for a charger that his EU2000i would support and he settled on a PB-1000-24. I will look into the same unit (thanks SteveK and BB! great discussion) and see if it is a good fit. Although, I also note that the PB1000 left a bit of unused power in the EU2000 that was not used... has anyone since found a better fit?
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    kaipo_boy wrote: »
    Brlux, thanks but I think my DLS has the IQ4 built in so the RJ11 plug is disabled.
    I see that SteveK went through this already, looking for a charger that his EU2000i would support and he settled on a PB-1000-24. I will look into the same unit (thanks SteveK and BB! great discussion) and see if it is a good fit. Although, I also note that the PB1000 left a bit of unused power in the EU2000 that was not used... has anyone since found a better fit?
    The Meanwell PB 1000 is a smart charger. It will never deliver it's stated output on a system with a inverter attached. Anytime the Inverter is drawing power it will see it as a fault and cut it's self off. Don't waste your money.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/foru...vs-iota-dls-75