PIKA 1800 watt

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Anyone know about this one????? It doesnt seem to have a furling tail but I cant tell. Didnt see any place to buy one either...

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: PIKA 1800 watt

Do you have a link to info on it?
    Google produced no returns.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

If anyone wants to look: http://www.pika-energy.com/
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    If anyone wants to look: http://www.pika-energy.com/

Thanks Cariboocoot. Had a look. Did my time with small wind, moved on and have nothing positive to add.
  • ws9876

2 problems with them make me think they wont be around long. One is they somehow convert wild AC to 380v DC for transmission. Why??
    isnt it easier to transform to hi AC and then transmit...??
    Also they only let installers do the installing. That wont go very far with independent homesteaders.
    prediction...short lived..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

380 VDC REbus as a power bus voltage is what is being offered for use in large computer centers.

Basically the peak voltage on a 240 VAC sine wave is ~380 VDC (peak). It turns out that many 120/240 VAC power supplies (like used for many computers) can connect to a 380 VDC bus just fine--No AC conversion needed.

Not sure how that is going right now... But people have been looking at doing this on a large scale. MorningStar is making some DC GFI breakers that look very interesting for this type of power system.

But it is not something that somebody without a lot of electrical engineering knowledge would tackle on their own.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ws9876

so they rectify 240 ac on the turbine??????? and the 240 comes from transforming a smaller wild AC voltage on the turbine??
  • bpolito
    bpolito Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks - Ben Polito from Pika here; happened to see this thread and thought I'd clarify how the T701 turbine works.

Like most small turbines the T701 is direct drive with a permanent-magnet alternator, so it produces wild three-phase AC. This output is rectified and regulated to 380VDC at the turbine. We do this for two reasons - (1) higher voltage means lower line losses and less expensive wire to connect the turbine to the load - 12AWG in most cases, and (2) regulated output means we can add other turbines and PV arrays in parallel on the same bus. In the past, folks would use step-up transformers to boost voltage for transmission, but these days it's easier and more cost-effective to use DC-DC converters.

The T701 has options for both grid-tie and off-grid connections. If you are on the grid, you can use our X3001 inverter, which is UL1741 listed to backfeed a 20A breaker in your 240VAC service. If you are off-grid, you can use the B801 charge controller to charge a 24 or 48V battery pack. You can also do AC-coupled off-grid systems, battery-backed grid-tie, and other configurations as well.

The turbine has been in field-testing since 2010, and we have worked closely with NREL to test the turbines in some pretty gnarly conditions at the National Wind Technology Center, north of Denver. For grid-tie systems we work with a network of trained installers, but since off-grid folks are often pretty far off the beaten path, we have worked directly with independent homeowners to do self-installation; so long as you have the experience and equipment to do the work safely we do everything we can to help you out.

Thanks and I'd be happy to answer other questions - shoot me an email at bpolito at pika-energy dot com.

Cheers,

Ben
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Welcome to the forum Ben!

Thank you for answering questions about your product. We appreciate your help.

Take care,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Glad to see Pika Energy is on here. Hi Ben !

I met Ben and company last June at the small wind conference in Wisconsin just before MREF.

I will say that these guys are pretty smart folks and nice guys too !

I think the RE bus is not a pretty good idea. The MPPT happens before the 380V bus as I understand.
    That can be solar or wind.

So, I wonder what the future means for this 380V DC bus as it applies to the new telecom standard
    of going from 48V to 380V ?

boB
  • bpolito

Thanks to Bill and Bob for the warm welcome, and looking forward to MREF next summer!

Bob is correct about the configuration of the 380VDC bus - each source gets its own MPPT, upstream of the connection to the bus. The T701 turbine has its own MPPT built in, and each S2001 "PV Link" takes input from a series string of up to 8 standard modules and does MPPT with 380VDC output. That means you can wire in any combination of wind and PV in parallel anywhere on the system - folks will normally install their turbine at the most exposed point on their property, and then put the PV at any convenient location between the turbine and the house, with just a single pair of 12 gauge conductors running back to the house. Each source operates independently at it's peak capability, and the inverter or charge controller is ambidextrous - it will push power from any combination of sources onto the load, up to its rated capacity.

Split-rail 380VDC (i.e. +/-190VDC with a center ground) makes sense as a standard, because it offers higher transmission efficiency than even 240VAC, takes good advantage of the best price points available in power silicon devices, and as Bill indicated in a previous message it is the natural voltage to use when synthesizing standard 240VAC wall current. 380VDC is just starting to be used in various applications, including telecom, large data centers, and homes. It's also a good choice for interfacing with larger-capacity battery banks, and eventually EVs. There is an industry organization called the Emerge Alliance that is promoting it and has a lot more info online.
    Cheers,
    Ben
  • Sun-Wind-Keeper
    Sun-Wind-Keeper Registered Users Posts: 11
    Hello ALL,

This is my first post here.

New PIKA T701 owner here with some requested information.

PIKA T701 has a factory published rated power of 1.5 kW @ 11 m/s or 24.6062992 MPH and Peak Power Rating of 1.7 kW @ 13.5 m/s or 30.1986399 MPH listed on their website.
    The T701 has recently been certified by SWCC (Small Wind Certification Council) Certification# LPP-13-03
    (LPP) is Limited Power Performance from February 9, 2015 to August 9, 2016 or 18 months.
    The SWCC Label is Pending Full Certification.
    http://smallwindcertification.org/wp...ry-Report1.pdf

The T701 is also listed with Clean Energy States Alliance (CESA) ITAC Unified List of Wind Turbines in the Small Wind Turbines Section
    http://www.cesa.org/projects/ITAC/it...wind-turbines/

I have already observed 1,859 watts into the batteries from the PIKA B801 Bi-Directional Charge Controller Display and 69.3 amps @26VDC = 1,809.60 watts on my Trimetric Meter Display with a 100 amp 100 millivolt Shunt.

Power production in light airs is also very impressive and the sound is incredibly quiet. I sleep about 60' away and while I was used to the sounds of the other two wind generators I was using, now I only hear the sounds of nature....and I like it better! I hear a "Sound Rating Certification" is in the works.

I've only been running my machine less than one month so it's a "time will tell" part of the process with a new wind generator system that is much different from my past machines.

If anyone has questions please shoot them my way and I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks to the original poster for finding PIKA!

Cheers soon...Tom
  • bpolito
    Hi Tom:

Glad to hear you're up and running, and that the sound profile compares favorably with other turbines you've used. If you have any other feedback or issues just drop us a line!

Cheers,

Ben
  • Sun-Wind-Keeper
    Sun-Wind-Keeper Registered Users Posts: 11
    bpolito wrote: »
    Hi Tom:

Glad to hear you're up and running, and that the sound profile compares favorably with other turbines you've used. If you have any other feedback or issues just drop us a line!

Cheers,

Ben
    Hello Ben,
    Here's the first 30 day update on the T701 & B801:
    Mostly April running period:
    All but one day produced power into the batteries...I'm impressed as three of those days were wet foggy and a calm...even the pv's had to struggle to produce power. The turbine cranked out 77.6 KWh and the charge controller delivered 72.7 KWh to the batteries...~93.685% efficient. Love the REview online Energy Capture Statistics that comes with the product!
    I did see a 70 amp surge @ 26 vdc= 1,820 watts!
    Looking forward to the next round of charge control features!
    Team PIKA has been great to exchange ideas with!
    I will check in here periodically with more data.

Cheers soon...Tom