Running Old Trace 5548 without Battery?

Options
mcnutt13579
mcnutt13579 Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
I know the official line is that these things must have battery to run but could a large or somethingcapacitor be substituted for the battery bank? I have a customer who has an old one which is grid tied and used to sell back power but the batteries are shot. There is no economical reason to replace them because the power bill coming in is so low that there would never be any payback. However if we were able to get this thing to turn on then we could at least sell back some power but whatever we do has to be cheap.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    I am really reaching back to school here--I think I got this roughly correct now (I pulled an earlier post where I got it completely wrong doing the capacitor size calculations).

Energy = 1/2 * C * V2

Less say we want the capacitor to store enough energy to supply 5.5 kWatts @ ~52 volts for one cycle with a 0.5 volt swing in voltage (ripple voltage) and the inverter is running at 60 Hz (technically, should be a sine squared wave form running at 120 Hz--Just wanted factor of 2x safety factor).

E = Watt * Seconds = 5,500 Watt * 1/60 second = 92 Watt*Seconds of energy

C = E * 2 / (delta V2) = 92 WS * 2 * 1/[(52 volts)2 - (51.5 volts)2] = 3.6 Farads

It has been a long time since I ran these sorts of equations... But this sort of gives you an idea of how large of capacitor you may need. I took some guesses--Like 0.5 Volt ripple current is acceptable (may not be for the Super Cap or the Trace's internal capacitors).

A Visia 4 F super cap @ 8.4 volts (useful life ~2,800 hours at 55C). Also note that this is probably not the right capacitor--Really intended to be a "battery" that discharges over minutes to days--Not 120x per seond:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/MAL219691126E3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsCu9HefNWqpofZ%252b8Ak8%2fFpHwEcD6pUNMd2U4eUJxF65A%3d%3d

Maybe around $1,400 each--Need ~7x $14 each or ~$100 worth of capacitors (nominal guesstimate) plus cost to mount them (these are 24 week delivery--Not sure you can use 8 in series):

http://www.findchips.com/search/bmod0165

Also, the Trace will need ~48 VDC from the capacitor bank to "turn on" (I would guess to "boot strap" the inverter--Assumes a working 48 volt battery bank).

Or you can buy a 5 kW GT inverter:

Fronius Primo 5.0-1 5,000 Watt Grid-Tie Inverter

For about $1,850... And you can get rid of the Solar Charge Controller (you probably would need to re-wire the solar array to run the Fronius).

Note, the existing solar array may not fit (Vmp-array / Imp-array) with the requirements of the Fronius--Matching solar array configuration to the GT inverter's input requirements can be a pain.

Of course, you could look at using Micro Inverters for similar costs (and other panel wiring/selection issues).

Not saying the above is the exact/correct or even a workable answer (I would tend to think it is not a good idea to try and use the Trace in this way, the charge controller+inverter may be wildly unstable with a 4 Farad capacitor bank)--However, it does give you an indication of what the costs could be like with in a factor of 2x / or 0.5x to try and "re-purpose" the Trace.

-Bill "my second guess" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset