What do you think about this set-up?

Options
2 Schneider XW+ 6848 Inverter, with integrated Power Distribution Panel, and 3XWMPPT80-600Vdc Charge Controller,s 44 LG Optronics 265W High Efficiency Mono-crystalline PV Modules 11.66 kWdc Array producing an annual average of 16-54 kWH per day. **24 AQUION ENERGY Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI), Benign Salt WaterBatteryS10 Stack’s in a 48V parallel configuration, and a Honda EU7000si running on propane.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    I guess you installed the system around a month ago in Hawaii?

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?19902-My-24-Aquion-AHI-batteries

I cannot see your attachments in Solarpaneltalk (I am not a member)--But how is it working out for you? AHI batteries do not have a lot of surge current capability (high internal resistance). Do you have a link to the battery pack you are using?

12 kWatt of AC inverter (24 kWatt surge) capability is a lot. How are the batteries at supplying your daily needs?

I don't think anyone has AHI batteries here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CALLD
    CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm also curious about these batteries, but a bit annoyed that the website doesn't give you all the information you need without filling out a form with your details (probably so they can spam you for the rest of your life). As BB mentioned they have an issue with high internal resistance which I suppose wouldn't matter so much if you had a very large battery bank that didn't have to be recharged too quickly. But what about the costs? What about charge/discharge energy efficiency? High internal resistance is associated with high voltage in vs low voltage out, not very good for energy efficiency when you consider that an MPPT charge controller will be putting in less amps for the same amount of solar watts to charge it during the day and at night the inverter will be pulling more amps for the same amount of output watts at night..,
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no way to know if the system is / will be cost effective. It's 100% fully charged by noon and the voltage sag is about what you see in a typical Fork Lift battery. If this is a normal day on the chart, I'd say it'll work. I think he said that the Schneider Engineers set the system up on site so, it may not have the regular setting limits on the equipment.

Interesting to see how these batteries do in real life.
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I also have been interested in these batteries. On the Aquion website, they specify better than 85% round trip DC efficiency with the S20 stacks, but they don't specify if that's energy efficiency, or AH efficiency. Could be a big difference between the two!

Would be good to see overall efficiency? Would vary with current flows though.
  • OffGrider
    OffGrider Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    This is how our system is doing on a cloudy day vs a sunny day getting a full charge by 12 noon.
  • Hawi
    Hawi Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for sharing you system. What part of Hawaii do you live in? I actually live in North Kohala on the Big Island and would love to see your setup.
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options
    OffGrider wrote: »
    2 Schneider XW+ 6848 Inverter, with integrated Power Distribution Panel, and 3XWMPPT80-600Vdc Charge Controller,s 44 LG Optronics 265W High Efficiency Mono-crystalline PV Modules 11.66 kWdc Array producing an annual average of 16-54 kWH per day. **24 AQUION ENERGY Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI), Benign Salt WaterBatteryS10 Stack’s in a 48V parallel configuration, and a Honda EU7000si running on propane.

Wow nice big system. Out of curiousity, how are the panels strung up into the three charge controllers and why are you using the mppt -80-600? Long wire run?