JoshK's high-torque, urban, wind turbine. Concept and plans!

JoshK
JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
Hello everyone. Have a look at what I cooked up and let me know what you think. It is intended to operate where traditional wind turbines can not. I finally figured out the swimming action mechanics and had to draft it. I am looking for feedback. If anyone wants to build it, feel free to, but I would love pictures! I don't think it is a million dollar idea because of the belts & bearings required, but a do-it-yourself person might have fun creating the first ever! Questions and comments welcome.

PS - The belts are cogged belts to prevent slippage.

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    I think you should build the proof of concept prototype.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • JoshK
    Good point, but I don't have the time or really need a wind turbine. I am hoping someone gets interested enough over it to build themselves one.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting ideas, but a ton of moving, interacting parts, and what happens during a freezing rain storm when parts start seizing up could turn out to be very entertaining.
    Would be amazing to see one operating, regardless of efficiency or lace thereof.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think it might be more efficient if it was a vertical axis turbine? It would lose one of the belts and be easier to stabilize I would think.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • JoshK
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    [USER="6662"]waynefromnscanada[/USER], No doubt it has a ton of moving and interacting parts. Mechanical efficiency is lost to each bearing and belt. I think though if everything is light enough loss stays to a minimum. It also gains by having a very large power stroke, 50% of the rotation. And basically no resistance on the return flight.

[USER="379"]westbranch[/USER], Yea it would work vertically, and you could even bolt two together. But in that configuration you are better off with a industry standard design. This design was meant to take advantage of the wind acceleration that happens across a roof peak.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    JoshK wrote: »
    This design was meant to take advantage of the wind acceleration that happens across a roof peak.

Ah ha, you want to take advantage of the anabatic winds created upon heating.. should have mentioned that at the start... problem is they are quite irregular unless you have the optimal roof orientation and the bigger, and steeper, the roof is the better, and short lived over a day.

Like the idea though.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • JoshK
    I had to Google anabatic, but no, that doesn't seem strong enough alone. It still needs a good breeze, but by using the roof as a funnel and accelerator it should generate the equivalent of a larger turbine. And with one mounted North/South and one mounted East/West you would catch every wind angle. And a roof-line is perfect support system to stack more on the end and build a long, powerful system with only one generator per stack. With traditional turbines on a roof you need dozens of systems. With this you just add turbine length.
  • JoshK
    Thanks for the peer reviews :) It was a good bounce the idea off a few other people. If anyone else has comments let me know too. I will check back now and then.