Need a new 30" gas cook stove, off grid .

Thom
Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
What's your choice ? I turn off my inverter during the day. Do glow bars use to much power ?

Thanks Thom
Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Glow Bars can upwards of 500 watt. On my gas drier, the glow bar is only lit while starting the flame. For my oven, the glow bar is on when the flame is on (thermostat is calling for heat).

The best way to know--Get/use your Kill-a-Watt type meter. Will answer the question of how much energy each device uses (and uses on "standby";

There are a few battery based ignition ranges like Peerless:

http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/off-the-grid-propane-natural-gas-range-stove-solar-amish-oven.aspx
    Battery-Generated Spark Ignition uses 8 “AA” Batteries with “Low-Battery” Alert (Battery life approx. 4-5 years)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kansas
    kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    My Dometic propane refrigerator has a piezoelectric pilot light igniter. My 24" Peerless range has a flame for a pilot. I included a shutoff for the gas under the stove lid so I can shutoff the propane when I'm not there. When I get there I just light the pilots on the range and push the piezo button on the Dometic. No electricity needed for either.
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • Deveak
    Deveak Solar Expert Posts: 38 ✭✭
    http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/summit-wnm2107-30-inch-gas-range.aspx
    Fairly moderate price, some smaller units get really cheap. Don't think it would have a glow bar. We use a NG converted to lP, it works but it takes a good deal of power. Nothing insane, not sure if its glow bar or the electronics.
  • kansas
    kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I'm not sure now that my range is a Peerless, but there are a number of options online for ranges with "pilot lights."
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • pyintheye
    pyintheye Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Careful not to oversize the burner BTU's. The GE we put in with the propane conversion is a hot one. Both in BTU's and phantom electronics and yes the glow bars pull 13-16 amps pulsing on average every 5 minutes as the oven regulates the temp. Practical and pretty are seldom the same.
    Midnite Panel Box for MS4448PAE, FM60- 720w, FM80- 2340w, 8 Trojan L16H AC- 48V, NH600 Turbine, DHW 2000w opp/div load.
  • Denman
    Denman Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭
    The brand name on ours is Premier, it's got that piezo electric thing going. We started with a Sears that had a glow bar, way too much power use for our liking. This one takes 8 AA batteries. It's really made it a much easier choice to use the oven during the winter and on cloudy days. The search term: Premier BFK5S9WP 30" Gas Range Battery Spark Ignition. will lead you to one like what we got. So far we're loving it.
  • BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Denman wrote: »
    The brand name on ours is Premier, it's got that piezo electric thing going. We started with a Sears that had a glow bar, way too much power use for our liking. This one takes 8 AA batteries. It's really made it a much easier choice to use the oven during the winter and on cloudy days. The search term: Premier BFK5S9WP 30" Gas Range Battery Spark Ignition. will lead you to one like what we got. So far we're loving it.

Thats the one we have also. I like it a lot.
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

• Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    We have a 20 inch propane cook stove made by Unique off grid and it's great. No pilot light and 9v battery ignition, so no phantom loads and no wasted gas/propane. We've had it for several months now and it works very well and is ideal for being off-grid like we are. They make a 30 inch wide natural gas version of this stove with no pilot light and 9v battery ignition (see: http://www.uniqueoffgrid.com/en-Ca/Products/Product-Line-up_/Off-Grid-Ranges/UNIQUE-30White.html ) for more info. Hope this helps!
    100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.