First post and voltage drop calc help.

Options
Saburai
Saburai Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
Hi Gang!

I've been lurking here for a while, great place with so much excellent information.

Can someone help me out with figuring out cumulative voltage drop in a 12v system?
I've looked at some of the nice on line calculators like this one: http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm
Maybe I'm dense, but what I'm having trouble figuring is, for example: if I have 10ft. of #4 and 10ft. of #8 what would the total % loss be? Furthermore, do I have to double that percent number to account for having a pair (+-)of cables?

Thanks for the help with newbie questions!

Rich

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: First post and voltage drop calc help.

Welcome to the forum Rich.

10 feet of #4 and 10 feet of #8 on the same circuit? That is not something normally done. The reason being that wire size must first accommodate the current expected, so you don't switch wire sizes within one circuit.

Some calculators use single-length run, others use home-return. This one (lower half of the page), for example, goes for the round-trip: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm It is natural to assume the wire size is the same on both the to and the from. Note how it says "Enter 1-way circuit length in feet (the calculation is for the round trip distance)".

If you've got #4 going to and #8 coming back (again; I can't imagine why you would) then you'd have to split it up as a 5 foot round trip of each to account for the 10 foot lengths or use a single run calculator.
  • Saburai
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply!

Perhaps I wasn't clear.
    I'm manly discussing panel to charge controller wiring. i.e. if I had 10ft. of Mc4 Pv Extension #8awg out of the panels going to a combiner box with 10ft. of #4awg out of the box to the charge controller.
    With 8.65mpp per panel, I calculate a 1.5% drop in the #8. With two panels at 17.3mpp total running through 10ft. of #4 I calculate a 1.5% drop. My question is would my total drop be 3% when all the current reached the controller?
    BTW 10ft. is just a number used for example.

Many thanks

Rich
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Saburai wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Perhaps I wasn't clear.
    I'm manly discussing panel to charge controller wiring. i.e. if I had 10ft. of Mc4 Pv Extension #8awg out of the panels going to a combiner box with 10ft. of #4awg out of the box to the charge controller.
    With 8.65mpp per panel, I calculate a 1.5% drop in the #8. With two panels at 17.3mpp total running through 10ft. of #4 I calculate a 1.5% drop. My question is would my total drop be 3% when all the current reached the controller?
    BTW 10ft. is just a number used for example.

Many thanks

Rich

Well I see a couple of things here. PV wire is usually 10 AWG, not 8 AWG. The drop from panel to combiner box usually doesn't make any real difference at all because it is short run at low current, and often high Voltage. So this part depends on the actual configuration of the array.

Now when you come out of the combiner box that's a different matter, as you will have the current of all the parallel connections and usually a longer run that 10 feet to the charge controller (or GTI).

Otherwise the two section constitute two separate circuits and need to be calculated in series if you want 'precise' numbers. Since PV allows its Voltage to go 'anywhere' depending on conditions the numbers are never that precise anyway. So first you'd calculate the drop on the initial run from PV to combiner, then take that Voltage as the base for the calculation from combiner to controller.

But there really isn't that much point in doing it that way. As I said the PV Voltage will run anywhere from O to Voc rating. Typically nominal Voltage is used for calculation as it is 'lowest practical potential' and will give the most conservative return (maximizing efficiency). Voltage below that probably means the system isn't producing anyway. Some may prefer to use Vmp, in order to get that OCD precision.

So ... Vmp @ Imp across 'X' feet of #AWG results in a Voltage at Combiner of Vmp - V-drop. Then Voltage at combiner @ combined Imp across 'Y' feet of #AWG results in Voltage at controller input of Voltage at Combiner - V-drop. Difference between Vmp and controller input Voltage determines % drop from array.

That's why the theoretical confuses and the practical makes sense.
  • Saburai
    Options
    Well I see a couple of things here. PV wire is usually 10 AWG, not 8 AWG. The drop from panel to combiner box usually doesn't make any real difference at all because it is short run at low current, and often high Voltage. So this part depends on the actual configuration of the array.

Now when you come out of the combiner box that's a different matter, as you will have the current of all the parallel connections and usually a longer run that 10 feet to the charge controller (or GTI).

Otherwise the two section constitute two separate circuits and need to be calculated in series if you want 'precise' numbers. Since PV allows its Voltage to go 'anywhere' depending on conditions the numbers are never that precise anyway. So first you'd calculate the drop on the initial run from PV to combiner, then take that Voltage as the base for the calculation from combiner to controller.

But there really isn't that much point in doing it that way. As I said the PV Voltage will run anywhere from O to Voc rating. Typically nominal Voltage is used for calculation as it is 'lowest practical potential' and will give the most conservative return (maximizing efficiency). Voltage below that probably means the system isn't producing anyway. Some may prefer to use Vmp, in order to get that OCD precision.

So ... Vmp @ Imp across 'X' feet of #AWG results in a Voltage at Combiner of Vmp - V-drop. Then Voltage at combiner @ combined Imp across 'Y' feet of #AWG results in Voltage at controller input of Voltage at Combiner - V-drop. Difference between Vmp and controller input Voltage determines % drop from array.

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

#8 is available:
    http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Panel-Cable-Extension--Resistant/dp/B00DY84AE2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420818393&sr=8-3&keywords=Mc4+Pv+Extension+8awg
    Any reason not to use it?

Array configuration is 2-3 160w mono panels run in parallel.

Not looking to be "OCD precise". Just attempting to determine cable size, system variability and max practical run length to the panels as they will not be mounted on the RV.

Here is a link to the panels I'm considering:
    http://www.grapesolar.com/files/9917/GS-S-160-Fab8.pdf

Many thanks

Rich
  • Saburai
    Options

Well I'm definitely confused!

Let me give this a shot and if you could, please tell me if I'm at least on the right track.

I am using this calculator: http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm since it allows me to input 18v - close to the panel Vmp of 18.5, I come up with this:

Vmp 18.5 Imp 8.65

10ft. run of #8 from each panel to the combiner box for a 0.6% drop leaving 8.59A per panel *2=17.18A
    10ft run of #4 to the charge controller for a 0.5% drop leaving total 17.09A for my two panels at the charge controller. Is this right?

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

#8 is available:
    http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Panel-Cable-Extension--Resistant/dp/B00DY84AE2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420818393&sr=8-3&keywords=Mc4+Pv+Extension+8awg
    Any reason not to use it?

Array configuration is 2-3 160w mono panels run in parallel.

Not looking to be "OCD precise". Just attempting to determine cable size, system variability and max practical run length to the panels as they will not be mounted on the RV.

Here is a link to the panels I'm considering:
    http://www.grapesolar.com/files/9917/GS-S-160-Fab8.pdf

Many thanks

Rich

Bigger cable is better, correct?

Any thoughts on the panels?

The RV is in a palm grove with many tall trees and finding a spot(spots?) for my array will be a challenge, so I'm attempting to compute the maximum practical distance of the array from the batteries. I have about 40ft. of#4 welding cable. If I used it all I *think* I'd be at about 2% voltage drop at 17.26 Imp after a 10ft. run of #8 Mc4 from the panels to the box. Of course I'll do my best to keep all cable runs as short as I can.
    The balance of the system is a Bogart Trimetric 2030-RV and a Borgart 2030-SC solar controller with two Trojan T-105 for now, adding two more as funds allow.

Many thanks for all the help!

Rich
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Do yourself a favour and use the system nominal Voltage for calculations.
    The reason for this being that solar panels are current sources and their Voltage is not stable. With a PWM type controller the panel Voltage will be the same as battery Voltage through the Bulk stage, and that is when current is highest, Voltage is lowest, and V-drop at its maximum. If the wire size 'works' at those levels with minimal loss (less than 3% is usually the target) it will work at all other Voltage levels above that.

If you have to run a long distance between the array and charge controller you may have to bite the bullet and use an MPPT type controller which will allow the panels to be in series: much higher array Voltage thus lower V-drop over distance. The controller will take care of adjusting to battery Voltage.

As an example:

Two Grape 160 Watt panels with Vmp 18.5 and Imp 8.6 (17.2 Amps)
    Both in parallel on a PWM controller, 40 feet from array you need 4 AWG to keep the V-drop below 3% (12 Volts nominal, 17 Amps current, 40 feet distance).

Put them in series on an MPPT type controller (24 Volts nominal, 8.5 Amps current, 40 feet distance) and you can use 10 AWG with the V-drop still below 3%.

The difference between wire cost difference and controller cost difference would be the main deciding factor. Also note that the 4 AWG will be more difficult to work with. The 30 Amp MPPT Kid controller would cost about $200 more than a 20 Amp SunSaver PWM.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I should also note that whereas the current through the PWM controller would be 2X Imp or 17.2 Amps there will be more available from the MPPT controller - around 20 Amps (320 Watts * 0.77 efficiency / 12 Volts nominal). That will be better for recharging batteries in the 220 Amp hour range.
  • Saburai
    Options
    Do yourself a favour and use the system nominal Voltage for calculations.
    The reason for this being that solar panels are current sources and their Voltage is not stable. With a PWM type controller the panel Voltage will be the same as battery Voltage through the Bulk stage, and that is when current is highest, Voltage is lowest, and V-drop at its maximum. If the wire size 'works' at those levels with minimal loss (less than 3% is usually the target) it will work at all other Voltage levels above that.

If you have to run a long distance between the array and charge controller you may have to bite the bullet and use an MPPT type controller which will allow the panels to be in series: much higher array Voltage thus lower V-drop over distance. The controller will take care of adjusting to battery Voltage.

As an example:

Two Grape 160 Watt panels with Vmp 18.5 and Imp 8.6 (17.2 Amps)
    Both in parallel on a PWM controller, 40 feet from array you need 4 AWG to keep the V-drop below 3% (12 Volts nominal, 17 Amps current, 40 feet distance).

Put them in series on an MPPT type controller (24 Volts nominal, 8.5 Amps current, 40 feet distance) and you can use 10 AWG with the V-drop still below 3%.

The difference between wire cost difference and controller cost difference would be the main deciding factor. Also note that the 4 AWG will be more difficult to work with. The 30 Amp MPPT Kid controller would cost about $200 more than a 20 Amp SunSaver PWM.

Thanks. I didn't anticipate the potential shading problems and have already placed my order for the Bogart components from John Drake, in fact I'm expecting to take delivery today. Down the road, this system will be most likely be a roof top install on a different RV. I own 45-50ft of #4 welding cable.
    What do you think of the Bogart combination? At the time I ordered it, it seemed the the right set up as I did not know I would have the the tree problem at that time - I made an assumption about the location I was offered before my arrival... I'm sure John would take an unopened return if I wanted to exchange it. However, $$ is a factor and I don't think with the eventual roof mount a MPPT CC would be of much benefit or am I way off base?
    I've always struggled with math, are my above calculations on the right track?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I have no actual experience with the Bogart equipment in question, so I can't speak to its quality or efficiency.

Usually the MPPT advantage is solely in the flexibility of array design; the 'extra' power is so minimal as to be not worthwhile considering. However in this case where the PV's have higher than normal Vmp there is a significant difference in output: 17.2 Amps is all you will see with PWM, whereas 20 Amps is more likely than not with MPPT. That's a 16% increase. what is more is that the 225 Amp hour batteries will recharge better with those extra 3 Amps; ideally you should have 22-23 Amps peak current. It is a difference between a 7.5% gross charge rate and an 8.8% gross charge rate. Subtract the load factor for net rate and you can have the difference between works/doesn't work. At the very least it will have an effect on the DOD that can be used with any given hours of sun.

What's more, if you want to add that third panel the 4 AWG & PWM suddenly goes out the window with another 8 Amps: the current at 25.8 puts the V-drop over 4%. Add the same third panel in series on the MPPT and you have a slight drop in controller efficiency, but no trouble with V-drop on the line because the Voltage goes up but the current remains the same.

How this fits with later redesign depends on how many changes are made.
  • Saburai
    Options
    I have no actual experience with the Bogart equipment in question, so I can't speak to its quality or efficiency.

Usually the MPPT advantage is solely in the flexibility of array design; the 'extra' power is so minimal as to be not worthwhile considering. However in this case where the PV's have higher than normal Vmp there is a significant difference in output: 17.2 Amps is all you will see with PWM, whereas 20 Amps is more likely than not with MPPT. That's a 16% increase. what is more is that the 225 Amp hour batteries will recharge better with those extra 3 Amps; ideally you should have 22-23 Amps peak current. It is a difference between a 7.5% gross charge rate and an 8.8% gross charge rate. Subtract the load factor for net rate and you can have the difference between works/doesn't work. At the very least it will have an effect on the DOD that can be used with any given hours of sun.

What's more, if you want to add that third panel the 4 AWG & PWM suddenly goes out the window with another 8 Amps: the current at 25.8 puts the V-drop over 4%. Add the same third panel in series on the MPPT and you have a slight drop in controller efficiency, but no trouble with V-drop on the line because the Voltage goes up but the current remains the same.

How this fits with later redesign depends on how many changes are made.

Again, thanks.

What MPPT controller would you suggest?

Best

Rich
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Again, thanks.

What MPPT controller would you suggest?

Best

Rich

In this case you need one capable of at least 20 Amps, which would be a MidNite Kid or Morningstar TriStar 30. The Kid is significantly less money ($285 vs. $355). There are other less-well-known brands out there too; some people have had good luck with them, others not so much so. A bit of a gamble and you have to decide if it's worth the risk.