Heating my Chicken coop

RossD
RossD Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi,

I am a total noob to wind and solar and had some questions. I am looking to run 4 300watt radiant light bulbs. I am wondering what type of inverted would be needed what type of turbine/panels and how many batteries would I need. If this sounds ignorant I am sorry I have no idea about any of this and I am kinda jumping in here. Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• RossD
    Re: Heating my Chicken coop

Here is something that I have found and thought about building as my turbine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MQaT9EbMDQ
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Hi and welcome.
    I have chickens also, they take cold very well. I keep a water heater and a low wattage light for 3 or 4 hours a day to keep them laying. Look at my signature. I don't believe a system like mine would run what you want 24/7. I got over twenty thousand in my system. I am in MO so maby not as cold as where you are but we do get really cold spells and I have had no issues with my chickens.
    Good luck
    gww
  • gww1

You would be waisting your time with a turbine like that. You would need to be in a very good wind area first and then need a differrent turbine. If you want to build, Check out first; Pay attention to what they really produce not just the max you see at one time in a hurracain.

http://www.otherpower.com/

They also have a forum.

Just my opinion.
    Good luck
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    RossD wrote: »
    I am looking to run 4 300watt radiant light bulbs. I am wondering what type of inverted would be needed what type of turbine/panels and how many batteries would I need. If this sounds ignorant I am sorry I have no idea about any of this and I am kinda jumping in here. Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Basically, running electric heat is very power hungry, and for an off grid power system, usually prohibitively expensive.

For example, say you run the bulbs 50% of the time:
    • 4* 300 watts * 0.50 duty cycle * 24 hours per day = 14,400 WH = 14.4 kWH per day
    • 14.4 kWH per day * 30 days per month = 432 kWH per month
    That is more power my suburban San Francisco area home with 4 people uses in a day (I do have natural gas for heating/cooking/hot water). Lucky chickens. ;)

For an off grid home, using about 100 kWH per month or ~3.3 kWH per day is a good target. And that would cost you several tens of thousands of dollars worth of solar array+battery bank+electronics.

More or less, off grid solar cost around $1-$2 per kWH--Or about 10x the power costs of grid/utility power. And remember if you need the heating during the winter, it would be even more difficult to get enough solar energy (and during bad weather).

Just to give you a quick idea of what an off grid system would look like with a "nominal" design for an off grid home:
    • 14,400 WH per day * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/48 volt battery bank * 2 days storage * 1/0.50 max discharge = 1,411 AH @ 38 volt battery bank (huge)
    And if you live in Toronto area of Canada, using PV Watts with a fixed array tilted to 44 degrees from horizontal:

Month

Solar Radiation
    (kWh/m2/day)

Year

Since you would want winter heating, then 1.95 average hours of "noon time sun" per day:
    • 14,400 WH * 1/0.52 off grid system eff * 1/1.95 hours of sun per November day = 14,201 Watt solar array minimum (November/December solar power availability)
    And two to three $600 Solar charge controllers + $12,000 worth of lead acid batteries + $14,000 to $18,000 worth of solar panels another $5,000+ for racking+wiring, etc...

Add a 12kWatt or larger genset and 140+ amp at 48 volt AC battery charger for bad weather recharging of the battery bank.

Wind turbines have approximately 10-15% average collection from wind. To get 14.4 kWH per day from wind:
    • 14,400 WH * 1/24 hours per day * 1/0.15 turbine factor = 4,000 Watt turbine (very roughly)
    --Assuming you have good winds in the winter (winds are highly variable and site specific. Nominally a 60-90+ foot tower would be needed for most places--If you have enough wind).

Obviously, lots of assumptions here and we can talk details--But it sort of gives you a starting back of the envelope set of hardware to get started.

In general, it is usually much better to start with conservation... Reduce your power needs to the absolute minimum needed, then look at grid power (if power is only 100's of feet away, burying a cable is going to be more cost effective).

Look around for taking care of chickens in cold weather--There is quite a bit out there from people whom (appear to) have successfully kept chickens in cold climates:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/11/surviving-winter-with-chickens.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    gww1 wrote: »
    Pay attention to what they (wind turbines) really produce not just the max you see at one time in a hurricane.

Couldn't have said it better. Been there, done that, threw away my money - - - - except for the actual alternator which I now use on my hydro turbine.
    I also agree with the post about chickens not needing heat. (except of course little hatchlings which can smother as they pile up on each other trying to keep warm)
    Here the temps regularly drop to minus 20C (zero F) and lower, and in the olden days a lot lower than that, and chickens are / were always kept in unheated, uninsulated out buildings.
    Of course I'm talking family farms, I know nothing about "factory farms".
  • BB.

Note, I am not a fan of small wind turbines.... I see you are thinking about Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT) which have even worst performance than HAWTs.

Turbulent wind has very little useful energy in it, and can cause mechanical problems by buffeting turbines.

Turbines need to be in non-turblent are--Typically 60' or higher... Perhaps 30' in an open plan (not hills/trees/buildings up wind).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RossD

Wow this is way more complicated then I thought. I was under the impression that 700 watt was not much power but that really puts it in perspective.

So I did some research and found 100 watt heating element and 4 7.5 watt bulbs bringing my consumption down to 430w total and that would not be constant draw, it would come on and off with a
    thermostat. The space that is being heated are 4 areas that are 2'x2'x12" and they will be insulated with SM board so I would imagine that it will be quite efficient. is there a way that I can create enough power through wind and solar to run this feasibly? I live in Northern Ontario and temps can get as low as -40 in the winter. We have quite a few windy blustery days up here and the others tend to be bright and sunny. I am looking at this as a possibility so its not set in stone, if anyone has any other ideas by all means they are welcomed. just think heating a small space and doing it completely off grid.
  • gww1

For sunny day heating you might look at some of these projects.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/Space_Heating.htm

The problim is some times it is not sunny for days and that means the electric portion would still have to be very large. You might do better just getting a wood burner. I question that the 100 watt element will kick off on some days and that makes for a worst case build ie; meaning big. I would think it would be worse for the chickens to have heat some of the time and not some of the time. I just make sure they have enough feed to provide the extra energy they might need during cold weather. I would like a solar door that opened in the morning and closed at night though.

I am lazy on the math but your proposal still calls for a large expensive system.
    Good luck
    gww
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Just in case you're expecting those 7.5 watt light bulbs to produce any usable heat - - - they'll just barely get warn themselves. Brings to mind a lady nearby who traditionally needed a 100 watt light bulb hanging down her well to keep the pipe from freezing (above the water level of course). She decided to save energy by replacing it with an 18 watt CFL, it was after all just as bright. You guessed it - - her pipes froze solid.
  • RossD

No the 7.5 watt light bulb would provide the chicks the light that is required. without drawing to much wattage. I am sure that there is a way to use led or something for but I am just not aware of it. this whole idea seems to me to be a no go, I had no idea the cost of producing the amount of power. I need to power at the very least 500watt per unit and it is an off grid situation @ this point it would be cheaper to re think my idea and move my operation to a location where there is hydro.
  • BB.

Heat is heat. A 7 Watt led or tungsten both output roughly 7 watts of heat.

7 Watt led will give many more times the amount of light. Only useful if your chickens like to read at night or you want to extend egg laying.

-Bill
  • RossD

light develops certain vitamins in the chickens and also extends the laying, here the Northern Ontario winters it gets dark very early and the girls are cooped up for most of the winter due to the temp. I agree that LED would provide more light with less call for power.