L5 plug to l6

mmag
mmag Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
I have a L5 30 amp 120 plug that is connected to my midnite e panel for my magnum 4448 inverter, it has a hot, neutral and ground going into the ac in buss bars, i got a different generator and want to connect my e panel to a L6 30 amp 240 plug but it is two hots and a ground, is this ok?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: L5 plug to l6
    mmag wrote: »
    I have a L5 30 amp 120 plug that is connected to my midnite e panel for my magnum 4448 inverter, it has a hot, neutral and ground going into the ac in buss bars, i got a different generator and want to connect my e panel to a L6 30 amp 240 plug but it is two hots and a ground, is this ok?

You're pulling 120 VAC only off the Magnum?

You can't feed the 240 VAC of the gen to a 120 VAC distribution panel. You can only use 1/2 of the gen's output. Otherwise you have to do some rewiring to make use of both legs.
  • mmag

sorry i should have specified its a 120/240v inverter and e panel
  • Cariboocoot
    sorry i should have specified its a 120/240v inverter and e panel

After thinking about this I believe what you are talking about is changing the AC IN to the inverter from a 120 VAC generator to a 240 VAC generator, yes? That means you have to 'pick up' the other hot wire for the AC input to the inverter. Exactly how you will do this depends on what the wiring is like now. For one thing there is probably a circuit breaker in the E-panel for the AC IN and it is likely 120 VAC (unless someone was thinking ahead on this). If so (limited to 120 VAC now) the rewiring becomes somewhat problematic.

I'm sure MidNite has wiring diagrams available to show the difference, but much hinges on what was put in the E-panel you've got already.
  • mmag

I will have to look again at the breaker, but There are two ac in buss bars so i would assume there is a dual breaker, I am pretty sure it is ready to hook up a 240 v gen I was just only using 120
  • mmag

i looked at my e panel again it is a 240v unit for my magnum 4448 240v inverter, it has two 120v breakers for the ac in. i looked at the wiring diagram from midnite and it has the ac in as two hots, a neutral and a ground, my question is can i hook up the L6 plug with no neutral?
  • Cariboocoot
    i looked at my e panel again it is a 240v unit for my magnum 4448 240v inverter, it has two 120v breakers for the ac in. i looked at the wiring diagram from midnite and it has the ac in as two hots, a neutral and a ground, my question is can i hook up the L6 plug with no neutral?

No. You need the neutral connection to the power source to provide stable 120 VAC for the loads. Without it you rely on the Magnum's transformer to provide the CT neutral, and I'm not sure that will work (have to look at wiring for the inverter and the particular generator). It could be like operating with a broken neutral line from a utility service; basically 120 VAC on each leg but the balance will shift with the loads.
  • mmag

Ok thanks for the help