How large Gen Set required for Hybrid PV System?

Hi All,

I've a query about Hybrid PV System.

I want to install a PV system that can be synced with grid and gen-set. i want to know if there is any ratio limitation for pv and genset ? I read that with SMA fuel controller, 600 KW PV can be installed with 1MW Gen-set. so i suppose that without SMA fuel controller, it would be more less for 1MW Gen-set. am i right or not? is there any proper information for that? like if I've a gen set of 1MW, then how big PV can be installed? or PV can be off any size?

Regards
Kashif

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: How large Gen Set required for Hybrid PV System?

Welcome to the forum Kashif!

I don't know anyone here that has the experience to give you any answers to your questions on the forum... We tend to talk about smaller systems here (10kWatt and less normally). Your system is 10-100x larger.

You can watch this thread for a couple of days and see if you get a reply--But I think you really need to talk with a Power Engineer that has experience with the systems you are asking about.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

1MW generator, I have worked on those many times.
    Installing a PV hybrid system with it was never an option.

Can that be done?
    Something like that sounds completely possible if you have enough money. Its going to be a very expensive custom build.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• kashif5
    kashif5 Registered Users Posts: 2
    oil pan 4 wrote: »
    1MW generator, I have worked on those many times.
    Installing a PV hybrid system with it was never an option.

Can that be done?
    Something like that sounds completely possible if you have enough money. Its going to be a very expensive custom build.

True. it can be done. as far as I've learned: you can install PV Max @ 30%-40% output of Generator Load. So in case if you have 1MW Gen-set, then 300KW should be out put of your PV ( 30% of Gen Load or 400KW for 40% of Gen Load). Now for 300 KWH out put you need pV of 300/.7= 428 KW. (Normally PV generation is 70-80% due to many factors including climate, heat, line losses ect).

But for SMA controller ....this output can be 60%. However I dont have further details for it.

Yes, it would be costly setup. but its pay back period ranges from 3 to 5 years. so remaining 20 years energy is free with minimal operational cost as compared to gen-set.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

They suck down a lot of fuel. I do not remember if they were fuelled once or twice a day, but they used a few hundred gallons of diesel each fuelling.
    With modern gear I would bet that you could go up to 100% solar, and idle down the generator to a stand by mode saving a ton of fuel and just maybe even be able to shut it totally off and run 100% on solar some days.
    I worked on multiple 1 to 2 MW diesel generators coupled together and they would automatically turn on, idle and warm up, run in stand by, come up to speed auto grid sync and cut in and out as needed. I would be surprised if you couldn't do the same thing with solar and a generator.
    Remember the panels can last 20 years, but the inverters usually don't last any where near that and if you throw lightening into the mix all bets are off.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.