Same GTI output, different wattage solar panels

Skip
Skip Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
I am using the same grid tie inverters - micro GT260 230 watts out, 0.88 amps, 240vac, my questions are:
1. I have 4 CS 250 watts, 3 Mage 235 watts, 1 Risen 220 watts, and 4 Top Point 185 watts, so... would I be better off running these 12 panels on 1 string of 12 grid tie inverters to my load center or using the 3 different wattage panels on 3 separate grid tie inverter strings to a power distribution block and then on to the load center? BTW there is a disconnect between the GTI's and the load center.
2. The amp output on these inverters are 0.88 amps each, am I correct in assuming that I would therefore have a total of 12 x 0.88 = 10.56 amps total??
Thanks for any info.:confused:
24 - 250 watt poly panels, 6000 watt SolarCity H6 Hybrid Grid Tied Inverter Mohave County Az.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Same GTI output, different wattage solar panels

These are micro inverters, a single string is fine. 12 X .88 amps is only 10.56 amps max.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

You would be better off not messing around with this stuff at all.

Legitimate grid-tie installs have approved plans, and I don't see anyone approving a mishmash of panels. Micro-inverters have listed acceptable panels which meet the require Voltage and current inputs. Using panels not listed is a warranty violation at least, and a functional failure at worst.

I am suspicious of the inverter as well, because 0.88 Amps * 240 Volts equals 211 Watts not the supposed 230 Watt rating.

Otherwise input Watt rating needs to be slightly higher than output Watts because panels do not perform at 100% efficiency. If these really are 230 Watt inverters they would put out 0.96 Amps @ 240 VAC and would require a panel of around 300 Watts to achieve that output on average.

Most micro-inverters are not listed to be used with multiple panels.

When it comes to input, the Wattage of the panels is not the only issue. If you put panels in series the lowest Imp will limit the current from the others. If you put them in parallel, a large difference in Vmp will reduce effective power. It is not simply a matter of adding up Watts.

Frankly I don't think you should be doing this at all.
  • Skip
    Skip Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    You would be better off not messing around with this stuff at all.
    I am suspicious of the inverter as well, because 0.88 Amps * 240 Volts equals 211 Watts not the supposed 230 Watt rating.
    Otherwise input Watt rating needs to be slightly higher than output Watts because panels do not perform at 100% efficiency. If these really are 230 Watt inverters they would put out 0.96 Amps @ 240 VAC and would require a panel of around 300 Watts to achieve that output on average.
    Most micro-inverters are not listed to be used with multiple panels.
    Frankly I don't think you should be doing this at all.

Thanks for the input, your points are well taken, and I will most definitely rethink this project and will get back when I have a better idea on what to with the stuff I already have.
    24 - 250 watt poly panels, 6000 watt SolarCity H6 Hybrid Grid Tied Inverter Mohave County Az.