Dirty electricity

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Dirty electricity

love this statement...

Hybrids and diesel engines are cleaner than gas, causing fewer air pollution deaths and spewing less heat-trapping gas.

But ethanol isn't, with 80 per cent more air pollution mortality, according to the study.

"If we're using ethanol for environmental benefits, for air quality and climate change, we're going down the wrong path," Hill said.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/coal-powered-all-electric-car-dirtier-than-gasoline-study-1.2148922#ixzz3M14AJqjj

Make more Scotch! ;)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot

It's like those hydrogen buses they used at the Winter Olympics in Whistler: the fuel had to be trucked in from Quebec so there went all the environmental 'savings'!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

At this moment in time, most (~95%?) Hydrogen gas is reformed from Natural Gas.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    BB. wrote: »
    At this moment in time, most (~95%?) Hydrogen gas is reformed from Natural Gas.

-Bill

Well then; they could have just used the fleet of LPG powered buses Translink had bought - and left sitting in a yard in Surrey until they rotted after they found out how much higher the fuel costs were over diesel.

Yeah; never think things through, that's the government way! :p
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Sort of like people who eat meat themselves, but condemn those who hunt for food. The difference is the meat eaten by the condemners comes from grocery stores where no animal ever has to suffer to produce meat, because employees make it in the washroom out back while on break.
    On the other hand, with electric and hydrogen vehicles, the end use technology is being proven, so now if we can come up with environmentally friendly ways to produce enough electricity and or hydrogen to fuel demand, we'll be laughing. Can we do that? Hindsight in 20 years or so will be the proverbial 20/20.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I call bull! plus how much pollution/electricity is produced creating and transporting the gasoline.

dirtiest coal burning plants produce 2.18 lbs of co2 per kwh. average car produces 411 grams per mile of co2.
    2.18 lbs = 988.831 grams.
    i average 20kwh per 100 km... so per 100km running on dirtiest coal plants, volt produces 19.77662 kg of co2.
    average car produces per 100 km, 25.5383481 kg of co2.

not to mention no2 and other greenhouse gases produced by ICE cars.

These articles really piss me off.

A volt running on, and i emphasize, THE DIRTIEST coal power STILLLLLLL produces about 13% less co2 emissions. again, not including all the other greenhouse gases.

Batteries...... almost completely recyclable.... yes, energy is used to MAKE the batteries but overall, the battery is nearly completely recyclable and (don't know for sure) i would bet that more energy is needed to create an ICE vehicle then an electric.

The author of the report needs to do some simple research... and use a calculator.

my sources:
    http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=74&t=11
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/documents/420f14040.pdf

And of course our Volts use solar mostly in daylight hours to charge, more and more are adding solar to their homes.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    I call bull! plus how much pollution/electricity is produced creating and transporting the gasoline.

dirtiest coal burning plants produce 2.18 lbs of co2 per kwh. average car produces 411 grams per mile of co2.
    2.18 lbs = 988.831 grams.
    i average 20kwh per 100 km... so per 100km running on dirtiest coal plants, volt produces 19.77662 kg of co2.
    average car produces per 100 km, 25.5383481 kg of co2.

not to mention no2 and other greenhouse gases produced by ICE cars.

These articles really piss me off.

A volt running on, and i emphasize, THE DIRTIEST coal power STILLLLLLL produces about 13% less co2 emissions. again, not including all the other greenhouse gases.

Batteries...... almost completely recyclable.... yes, energy is used to MAKE the batteries but overall, the battery is nearly completely recyclable and (don't know for sure) i would bet that more energy is needed to create an ICE vehicle then an electric.

The author of the report needs to do some simple research... and use a calculator.

my sources:
    http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=74&t=11
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/documents/420f14040.pdf

And of course our Volts use solar mostly in daylight hours to charge, more and more are adding solar to their homes.

Some VERY good points indeed! Thanks for sharing!
  • Cariboocoot

Electric cars would be great for the Vancouver area: low electricity costs (mostly nice, clean hydro), mild climate, and you wouldn't be burning up fuel while sitting in one of the infamous miles-long parking lots going nowhere slowly.

Up here ... forget it.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Electric cars would be great for the Vancouver area: low electricity costs (mostly nice, clean hydro), mild climate, and you wouldn't be burning up fuel while sitting in one of the infamous miles-long parking lots going nowhere slowly.

Up here ... forget it.

Yep BEV make great city cars if the electric is cheap and clean. Nice thing about the Volt it is big enough and comfortable enough to run it on the gas engine and go anywhere @ about 40 MPG.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I agree that this article is BS - a shill piece from the petroleum industry.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Up here ... forget it.

604 is NOT anywhere's close to 250 area My fuel is still 119 / L because of the area . I think we have moved most folks under 30 off the Island now(exc-Victoria) . There are no jobs here for young folks , & since the the ferry hikes I see folks moving off because of closed businesses . FOR LEASE is the common sign here .Foreclosure is not posted , but it's all over .
    Folks are dreaming on new electrics cars when used gas clunkers are dumped on the island & 250 AC due to Air-care . I have seen at fuel stations young folks buying fuel with CC's and are limited to 10.00 due to the new system of Shell. I can't ever see 250 getting into electric cars , but Coal driven power city's in the USA have the most. Batterys on a Yota came down from 6g to 2400 exchange installed 2013 car(just done in SFA Vee) so better pricing & longer life than in the BC western Calcide Rust/rot belt.

VT
  • Cariboocoot

Where I am gasoline is also tres expensive. But the electric cars don't work so well when the distances are measured in hours, the snow is measured in inches, and the cold is measured in negative numbers.

It's a harsh environment for fossil-fuel vehicles here, never mind electric ones.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

news Flash! Regular gas dropped to 104.9/L today here in the Puddle :cool:

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    westbranch wrote: »
    news Flash! Regular gas dropped to 104.9/L today here is the Puddle :cool:

This only happened because I filled up last week at $1.19. :cry: