ABSOLYTE battery questions

Options
BBBBB
BBBBB Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Hi everyone. found this site while googling info on these batteries. Seems to be a lot of knowledgable people here so thought I'd see if I could get a few answers. I've been offered the chance to remove and do what i see fit with some batteries from a vacated call center. Was told these would work well in a solar setup. So my questions start with. What are these things worth? How should I check to see if there still good? If not useable does anyone have info on disposal/recycling? Thanks .

ps. Sorry about the upside down pic.

Comments

• Blitz
    Blitz Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Options
    Re: ABSOLYTE battery questions

Get the racks too, and all the interconnects and hardware and any cables and connectors you can get.

If you decide to dispose of them, I know a few places in Dallas ( they will pay You a core fee to drop them off ... send the racks too) ....

and at my house :)

I dont know anything about these batteries. But I'll take them off your hands: )
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had a larger set, this one is not in good shape, see the bulge in #3, #4 from right, top 2 rows, that is positive plate swelling and they are on the way out... If you get them for FREE OK you can play with them, lots to learn. otherwise walk away. Look up the model and find the manual and read it about carer. If you can get 6 cells that do not have swelling, that is 12V. Looks like a 48 V set so check it out. the manual tells how to do a capacity test.
    Call around locally and find an Absolyte dealer or EXCIDE , who owns the brand now... ask about disposal, etc

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BBBBB
    Options

Thanks for the info. I really don't have a need for these right now. Thought I might be able to put them on Ebay or something to offset the cost of pulling them out. Sounds like I might be better off just looking into recycling.
  • Blitz
    Options

I dont know where You are, But really, there is a Guy ( Business) in Dallas, that will buy them.

Either for the cost of the weight of the lead, or as a core rate.
    If You include the racks and cables , connectors, etc.... anything You can grab... the cash price goes up.

You are probably 700 miles away though.

I just cant refuse FREE.

If you do pull them, be sure to be careful with the metal wrenches :blush:

Personally, I would get them... and take Your time to check them out.

But I looooove free...

Just the cables and connectors might be worth the effort.. IMHO
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options

Good find. They will work well in a solar system and were developed by Sandia labs for off-grid applications. The down side to them is they contain some NASTY stuff in them and will scrap for a lot less than standard lead acid batteries. Check voltage and see how close they are together. If nothing else you have spare cells.

They do not like to stay discharged and will be damaged by not being kept charged. The manual for them will probably be related to using them for backup power. In order to use them for deep cycle applications and make them live a longer life I use 14.2 volts bulk charge rate and 13.5 volts float. I set EQ to 14.2 volts. Double for 24 volts and times 4 for 48 volts. The manual will tell you the specs down to 1.75 volts which will make a data center stay up longer, but is death on batteries.

I have run bulged batteries for quite awhile as long as they work who cares? They will be difficult to get out of the racks. Try not to damage a case getting them out and you may just leave some in if it is easier. Once the case is cracked, they are getting ready to leave the business.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • BBBBB
    Options
    Blitz wrote: »
    I dont know where You are, But really, there is a Guy ( Business) in Dallas, that will buy them.

Either for the cost of the weight of the lead, or as a core rate.
    If You include the racks and cables , connectors, etc.... anything You can grab... the cash price goes up.

You are probably 700 miles away though.

Not 700 more like 1200-1500 miles away. Yea, if I get them I'll get it all.ATTACH=CONFIG]7944[/ATTACH]Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • BBBBB
    Options

WOW. Big picture there. Don't know how I did that.
  • westbranch
    Options

looks like somebody's garage with that snow scoop shovel and extension cord or?

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • BBBBB
    Options
    H2SO4_guy wrote: »
    Good find. They will work well in a solar system and were developed by Sandia labs for off-grid applications. The down side to them is they contain some NASTY stuff in them and will scrap for a lot less than standard lead acid batteries. Check voltage and see how close they are together. If nothing else you have spare cells.

They do not like to stay discharged and will be damaged by not being kept charged. The manual for them will probably be related to using them for backup power. In order to use them for deep cycle applications and make them live a longer life I use 14.2 volts bulk charge rate and 13.5 volts float. I set EQ to 14.2 volts. Double for 24 volts and times 4 for 48 volts. The manual will tell you the specs down to 1.75 volts which will make a data center stay up longer, but is death on batteries.

I have run bulged batteries for quite awhile as long as they work who cares? They will be difficult to get out of the racks. Try not to damage a case getting them out and you may just leave some in if it is easier. Once the case is cracked, they are getting ready to leave the business.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Skip

So someone I talked to in town here told me yhese batteries were impossible to get rid of because of whats in them. Any truth to that? I would get them, but i don't want to be stuck if I can't get rid of them. I would'nt mind playing with them a little bit though. Someday, when i have a place in the middle of nowhere they would be perfect. That's a little ways off though. Thanks again for all the info. really interested in the solar world.
  • BBBBB
    Options

One more thing. I read that these things weigh between 245-290# each. Is that true?
  • westbranch
    Options

NO. it is 502# for the whole 12v battery http://www.p-s-s.com/pdf/GNB-Absoltye-IIP.pdf

look it up ...

I had a 90A-25 and in 12 v configuration it weighed ~ 1100 pounds...

• BBBBB
    Options

Hmmmm, how the ---- am I going to move these things?:confused:
  • westbranch
    Options

1 cell at a time... usually takes 2 strong backs, you pull each cell out of the frame using a tool shown in the manual, that you cacn make....

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Some storage batteries have Cadmium in them. Has made them difficult to recycle in times past.

The 90A series is in both a 0.2 to 0.3% Cadmium and a cadmium free version:

http://www.exide.com/us/en/product-solutions/network-power/safety-documents-1.aspx

Looks like Excide may take some of these Cadmium containing batteries--But they are actually unable to recycle them (or at least pay any scrap value):

http://www.exide.com/Media/files/Revised%20guide%20Rev%200609.pdf
    New Generation AbsolyteNew Absolyte®GP 10207GP 10207
    ‐‐Non cadmium construction

Vs:
    Industrial AbsolyteIndustrial Absolyte®1021610216

Original Construction Original (Cadmium(Cadmium‐‐Bearing)Absolyte®

–All Exide Recycling Centers may receive this material in limited quantities. This material is consolidated and processed through other approved facilities.
    –This battery has a steel case with gray polypropylene jars.Handling / Packaging
    –Palletize for shipment using plastic shrink wrap to secure batteries to pallet. Only non‐metal banding is acceptable.
    –Use cardboard between skid and batteries to act as a shock absorber and to absorb liquid which may leak from cells. Cardboard must be on the top layer as well.
    –Must be removed from external metal rack, if applicable.
    –Failure to comply may result in refusal by the Exide Recycling Center.
    Exide may handle as a service, but does not provide any recovery value for these products.Weight
    –Approximate weight 250 lbs.
    –5,000 lbs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blitz
    Options

Nasty... ( Cadmium )

Is the telecom center still powered up?

If so, try to fully charge them before you pull them... using their setup and electric bill.
    it will be a lot easier to test and sort that way, and if it takes you some time... at least they are fully charged when they are pulled.

I read an old thread here:

and there is a post from March with Joe making a post saying his company will buy them..
    it might be worth a call or at least check out the thread.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?17440-Used-Absolyte-Batteries

" Quote:

New User

Default Re: Used Absolyte Batteries

The company I work for can assist you in absolyte recycling...We actually pay for the absolyte too. Not just absolyte batteries but we buy many other batteries that need scraped. Give me a call if you would like. Joe @ 608-764-1104

End Quote "