Disable Equalization Charge for "Maintenance-free Deep Cycle" Batteries?

Options
ttavasc
ttavasc Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi All - new to the forum but have been using solar for an off-grid utility shop for about 10 years now. The original batteries for my shop were Interstate L-16HCL Deep Cycle. These are 6 volt flooded batteries with a 415ah rating. I had 2 of these connected in series for the 12 volts used to run the various lights and inverter. They have finally died and since I no longer use the shop as much as I used to I have gotten 2 considerably cheaper 31DC RV Deep Cycle batteries as replacements. These are 12 volt so-called "maintenance free" with a 120ah rating and will be connected in parallel. Before I install these and connect them to the charging system I wanted to confirm that I do not want to use the equalization charge setting that I had been using with the L-16HCL's. It seems to me that would be the case but would like the extra confirmation. I have 2 - REC Solar SCM215 panels in parallel. These are 24 volt panels. Charger is a Blue Sky Energy 3024i mppt 12/24 volt unit. The daily drain will be around 5-10%, mainly from the outside security lighting that is on a timer. This does go up a bit in the summer when I use the shop more. Thanks in advance for any feedback - much appreciated.

-Todd

Comments

• H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Disable Equalization Charge for "Maintenance-free Deep Cycle" Batteries?

If you can't add water don't EQ. Some maintenance free batteries can have water added.

You got 10 years out of lightly used L-16's? That's great.

Good Luck
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • ttavasc
    ttavasc Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Re: Disable Equalization Charge for "Maintenance-free Deep Cycle" Batteries?

Thanks much for the confirmation. I'll set the charger to disable equalization and then monitor things for awhile to see how it goes. I was pretty pleased to get the 10 years out of the L-16's - I expected somewhere around 5-7 when I originally installed them. The last year or so I noticed that they seemed to drain a bit faster and I was adding a bit more water. I've checked them and topped them off on a monthly basis. I used a PWM charge controller for the first few years, then when I swapped in the REC panels I changed to the Blue Sky MPPT which has done a much better job I think.

-Todd