Need help wiring in an ammeter

hi,
A bit stumped, wired up a panel ammeter with shunt.
Just 4 wires, should be no big deal; Two wires for either side of shunt, should be right... then the two for the load. One to one side of load..common or ground on the Rv in my case I want to detect any 12 volt load on my RV, where do I land the second wire?
It is the 'B' in the install instructions,

http://www.happybuyerstore.com/happybuyersstore/manual/panelmeter/5035dc_volt_amp_meter.pdf

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need help wiring in an ammeter

Page 3 of your posted link !
    That has schematics .

VT
  • OzzJim
    OzzJim Solar Expert Posts: 37

You think I am writing this for help if I gave you a link to the schematics? I am confused about (B) Powered by the same source. The V+ and V-
    My goal is to check the amperage draw of the entire 12 volt system under any load, large or small.
    I have a meter that has never worked, I am assuming I have it hooked up incorrectly, I bought a new meter to double check this, but don't want to ruin it if I am doing it wrong.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

As long as your shunt is on the negative side of the battery cable, close as possible to the neg. terminal on the battery and the power is taken off at the battery ,both neg and pos, you should be fine. How many amps is your meter? Maybe give the old one another try?
  • OzzJim

Thanks aguarancher, I did have it hooked up that way, I guess I should just hook up the new one and check it out.
    The diagram just confused me a bit. I just wanted to check with the experts here, I almost always get great help here.
    Thanks again.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

As long as you are using a shunt that meets their specs. and didn’t reverse the polarity on any of the connections at installation, you should be good to go. I’m No expert, but I can usually get things working with a minimal amount of magic smoke :D
  • OzzJim

Oh, forgot to address the shunt, it is the recommended shunt. Yep, we always try to contain the smoke in the things we work on. I have a CO detector, a really good one, my wife was helping me on a service call, I asked her to turn it on, as it is a continuous read CO detector, she pushed the button and after 20 seconds or so it started to smoke and get hot. I just got it back from the repair and calibration, she told me she would never turn on any instrument again.. No explaining I could do, will change her mind, it was just one of those deals I guess.
    Have a good Sunday. We have a rare nice 3 or 4 day stretch here in Kansas City I will be working on my solar install today again.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    OzzJim wrote: »
    You think I am writing this for help if I gave you a link to the schematics? I am confused about (B) Powered by the same source. The V+ and V-
    My goal is to check the amperage draw of the entire 12 volt system under any load, large or small.
    I have a meter that has never worked, I am assuming I have it hooked up incorrectly, I bought a new meter to double check this, but don't want to ruin it if I am doing it wrong.

This is for the "HOUSE" battery's only ? Correct ! They show the Shunt on the negative side and all other loads are FROM the other side of the shunt (Except the V- neg for the meter itself to work) Being less than 50mv & it's looking for a difference of the negatives of V- & black+ in ,,while it needs a 12V pos feed . It's the negative side you must get correct. I'd also have a switch on the positive side so I could turn off the meter when not needed , The -V is the ONLY wire to be on the same side as the battery neg cable .

Also with such fine wires , I would use twisted pairs as in computer cable Cat5 style to reduce cross feeding from other electrical draws.

VT

Now I understand the question .
  • OzzJim

Thanks, I printed your response and will take it with me out to my Rv, also I will improve on the single wire, I have twisted pair, but used a single strand for a couple of connections.
    Appreciate it. Explaining things and questions has never been my strong suit..