Inverter?

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
Had a power bump but it did not trigger Bulk. I watched the grid come back up and sync with the inverter and it went straight to Float. I have talked about this before but would like some fresh eyes or comments. Could there be some "time" trigger where it has to be off for a certain minimum time before it triggers the Bulk setting or is the state of charge of the batteries a factor? Sorry to keep repeating this situation but I really want to understand what is going on.

Comments

• Wxboy
    Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Inverter?

Did the voltage drop below your re-bulk set point? I believe that's what triggers a charge cycle after a loss of power.
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

It was just a bump so did not drop voltage much, I am not familiar with a "re-bulk set point", will have to do some research on that terminology and see if that is what is going on. Documentation says Bulk timer will engage with a grid interruption, it does not say anything about time of interruption or voltage drop and that is why I am confused/curious. Since I got my new battery bank the Bulk timer has not run the full 2 hours, that I have it set for, like it did with my old bank, another curiosity that I am trying to understand. I am sure there are other older SW4024 users out there and would be interested in their experiences.
    Wxboy wrote: »
    Did the voltage drop below your re-bulk set point? I believe that's what triggers a charge cycle after a loss of power.
  • Wxboy
    Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭

I have a different inverter but I would think they operate in a similar manner. On my Outback if the power goes out and the battery drops below the re-bulk voltage(adjustable voltage set point), it will initiate a new charge cycle when the power comes back on.

Many charge contollers also have a re-bulk setting. On a charge controller if it reaches float charge on a given day and then the voltage drops to the re-bulk setting on the same day it will initiate another bulk/ absorb charge cycle.

The short answer would be, because it was a short power outage your battery voltage would most likely have stayed above the default re-bulk voltage so it wouldn't need to bulk charge the batteries.