Kestrel Turbine assesing functionality

JNSMAR043
JNSMAR043 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi,

I have a kestrel turbine that fell from its mounting of 10m and sustained some external damage (broken blades) but I want to asses if the generator is still functional and operationally sound. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Kind Thanks and Happy thanksgiving to those in the USA,
JNSMAR043

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Kestrel Turbine assesing functionality

Welcome to the forum.

The best thing to do is take it apart and inspect it visually for obvious signs of internal damage such as broken connections. Then use a DMM to check for continuity on wires, et cetera. Finally bolt it down and spin it up with a motor and see if it has output.

Not easy to do (especially that last bit) but better than sticking it back up the pole and waiting to see if the batteries charge when the wind blows or buying a new one if the old one is still viable.
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello,

I have several kestrel turbines.
    What model do you have? I have taken apart a 1000 watt kestrel you need a puller to take it apart.
    If you have the same one I can help you with the details.
    Pechan
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

And then there is the whole question of how the mechanical are after the fall.

Did somebody drop the turbine during the install, or did a yaw bearing/housing fail? Or was it the tower itself?

Housing the housing/bearing mounts OK? Should you do a magnaflux (steel) or dye test (aluminum) to look for hidden fractures?

Given that the turbine is not the most expensive part of the system (tower, installation, wiring, electronics are usually much more)--Should the turbine be replaced and strip the old unit for spares?

I would be very concerned about long term reliability of a turbine that fell 10 meters (33').

How did the system perform before the fall? Was there any records on how much power it produced (if existing install)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Ten meters he says, not 30 meters. About 33 feet.
    Which is actually somewhat low for an instal so maybe it wasn't done right all around.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Sorry--Did a "pre-conversion" before I typed--then applied another post-conversion.

And regarding 10 meters--That is not a very tall tower--Unless it is on a dead flat plain (not trees/buildings around), a taller tower would have been better.

And why I was asking how it performed (if it fell after the install).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JNSMAR043
    JNSMAR043 Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    the turbine belongs to the company I work for and was installed an fell before I started working here so lots of the information is second hand but fairly accurate. I want to have it checked by the manufacturer as I live in the same country and would cost about $70. And I 100% agree with carbicoot in that I don't want to find its faulty when its up a pole 200 miles away. So the turbine was installed on a homemade (ie not the manufacturers) tower and fell from approximately 10m. It performed really well and I have access to very detailed data on its voltage output so will use the analysis from that aswell, but unfortunately it fell.

I attached a multimeter to the output wires and detected an output when spinning the turbine, that was today. I still think I should send it to the manufacturer to check it out mainly for peice of mind, or I will take apart and do what i can myself.

I realize 10m is small for a tower but thats the height I got told it was at.

Thanks
    P.S. thanks for being helpfull, unlike some similar forums i have tried to use, i really appreciate it.