"hightec solar" and 480v Solar

ZoNiE
ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
Hi Folks, I'm looking to get two 65 W panels to augment my 3x130W array to give me essentially the equivalent of four 130W panels with one "split in half" to fit rooftop obstructions on my RV and I came across these on Ebay. The seller's website seems to be geared to selling solar cells to the DIY folks, but also appears to manufacture panels in the USA "again". Unless I can find two Kyocera's these are the closest thing. Are these "factory made" or made in some guy's garage?

Anyone have any experience with these hitec solar/480v solar panels?

I'm only looking at spending about a buck a watt or less, so not a lot of money lost if they suck. But my fear is that if they fail, they may hamper my entire system as these will be wired in parallel to each other, and then in series with one of the 130 W panels, and then wired in parallel with the other two 130 W panels in series.

---+ ----+--65W----+----130W---+----
| | | |
| +--65W----+ |
| |
| |
+----130W
130W
+

This will allow for I and V ratings of the pair of 65W panels to be within 5% of the 130W panels.

Comments

• JohnWilliams
    JohnWilliams Registered Users Posts: 5
    Re: "hightec solar" and 480v Solar

I bought one of his refurbished 120 watt panels. Made an offer of $100 including shipping, he countered with $110 and I bought it. Delivered in a very well packed carton designed for solar panel shipping. Panel is a Kyocera with the old style junction box. Working well. Will buy more...

John
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Your 'diagram' as displayed makes no sense. What are the actual specifications of the two panel types?

Imp difference matters for panels connected in series.
    Vmp difference matters for panels connected in parallel.
  • ZoNiE
    I bought one of his refurbished 120 watt panels. Made an offer of $100 including shipping, he countered with $110 and I bought it. Delivered in a very well packed carton designed for solar panel shipping. Panel is a Kyocera with the old style junction box. Working well. Will buy more...

John

Thanks John. I appreciate it. Not sure if the panels he had listed were refurbished or made new. Listed as "new" but had no tags, and looked like KC65's.
    Your 'diagram' as displayed makes no sense. What are the actual specifications of the two panel types?

Imp difference matters for panels connected in series.
    Vmp difference matters for panels connected in parallel.

Oh, the text graphics screwed up. Basically, I will have two 130W panels in series in one string, and in the other string, a 130W panel in series with the two 65W panels in parallel, effectively giving me two 260 W strings in parallel. Putting the two 65W panels in parallel to each other will give me effectively a 21.28V, 8.46A 130W panel...

Specs 65W 130W 65W x 2 (P)
    Vmp 16.88V 17.60V 16.88V
    Imp 3.98A 7.39A 7.96A

So my Kid would see two Parallel strings:

String # 1 Vmp 35.20V Imp 7.39A
    String # 2 Vmp 34.48V Imp 7.51A
    % Difference 2.09% 1.62%

It doesn't matter much now, the panels were sold. Waiting for the guy to list more, and looking at others.
  • vince
    vince Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I got my 435 W Sunpower panels from them and picked them up from their facility and their facility was much bigger then a "garage". They have the equipment to make the frames and panels but it looked like they might get the solar cells wholesale from a supplier. They offer a standard warranty but the panels are not UL rated so be careful if that is important.
    Sunpower 3 x 435 watt panels, 48 v 215 AH battery bank (Sam's club), Midnite Kid and WBjr, Fujitsu 9RLS3 split duct AC, Outback FX 3048T + transformer 2000W 120/220V, GrapeSolar Fridge.
  • ZoNiE

Thanks Vince, UL not really important for my RV.

I appreciate the feedback. Panels still working ok?