How do you keep your deep cell batteries warm?

90cummins
90cummins Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭
My newly installed Xantrex 4024 inverter and backup batteries are in my unheated garage. The batteries (L16RE-B) are close to the inverter to minimize voltage drop and are in an insulated 3/4" plywood box with small vents.
They are currently at 44 degrees and we are not into the cold weather yet.
According to Trojan they lose 10% capacity for every 15deg below 80deg. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to safely keep them warm????

Thanks 90cummins

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How do you keep your deep cell batteries warm?

Welcome to the forum "90cummins"
    Some of us use an insulated battery box. I sometimes insulate my battery box, other Winters I get lazy and don't. The act of charging generates heat within the batteries, thus warming them. Where I live we do have some stretches of minus 20C and colder weather. Insulated, my batteries rarely drop below 0C. Uninsulated, they sometimes drop to minus 6, 7 or 8C. And that's in an unheated, uninsulated, outside shed. Since I don't regularly drain by batteries below the 80% fully charged state, I notice very little difference other than somewhat lower voltage under load, and of course higher voltage while being charged.
    Cold batteries are a two sided issue. yes, their capacity drops somewhat when they're really cold, but on the other hand, their lives are extended when colder.
    I'll accept slightly lower voltage for longer battery life, they're expensive to replace. At the moment mine (uninsulated so far) are at 8C (46F) and Winter is yet to come.
    My opinion, unless you plan on really draining your batteries down in a way that requires all the capacity you can get out of them, don't fret about them getting cold, they won't freeze unless they are allowed to get discharged too low.
    What are your "normal" Winter temps?
  • 90cummins

It's been in the 20's but it's early, it will get into the single digits and below -0- DegF..
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Location Florida Ma

Your where ?? it will get into the single digits and below -0- DegF..

Don't waste SCOTCH , it won't freeze till -20c

VT

EDIT ADD !! Florida, Really ?? USA Needs to not have 35+ Springfield towns , when i read this location /I floored myself ,till i googled MA .
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Florida,+MA/@42.6604264,-72.9868939,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e0c5f0e14d7c61:0x3ad298d654368f9d

My ideas are in test , & on the mountains our temps are the same.

VT
  • 90cummins

Yup; Florida Massachusetts's on the top of the mountain with 6.3kw of solar and excellent exposure.
    Battery backup was added to utilize my solar in event of a prolonged outage which is in addition to my gas and diesel generators.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    90cummins wrote: »
    Yup; Florida Massachusetts's on the top of the mountain with 6.3kw of solar and excellent exposure.
    Battery backup was added to utilize my solar in event of a prolonged outage which is in addition to my gas and diesel generators.

So basically your batteries are being kept charged, but sitting unused for long periods of time while waiting for a power outage?
  • 90cummins

Yes currently they are sitting in float mode.
    This weekend I'm planning to go on battery backup to see how long they will support my basic .7kw to 1kw base load.
    I'll see if that warms them up.

90cummins
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Buy yourself a USB data temp data logger and run it through a winter, then decide based on data.
  • 90cummins

My Xantrex inverter has a battery temperature sensor attached to a battery post and the temp is currently around 46deg F.