Experience using SUNFORCE proseries 2500W pure sinewave inverter

I purchased this for my cabin. I have some concerns, the idle current is 2 amps, the top cover is allways warm to hot with only 200 to 300 watts being consumed. I constantly smell hot wiring. The unit makes slight sizzling sounds which are coordinated with the cooling fans that come on briefly for approx 1/4 of a second. It does handle the microwave well when used. The what appears to be generous heat sinks running down the lenghts of each side are plastic dummys. Is this normal operation for this unit or does it have an issue. Ive only used it for 48hrs and am wondering if the heat causing the plastic wiring smell is going to mean an early death for this unit. Anyone on here have any experience with this unit? Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Experience using SUNFORCE proseries 2500W pure sinewave inverter

Power electronics, especially when new, can give off some "interesting" smells. However, any "charring/burning" (acrid) smells are probably not good.

However, any sizzling noise you hear--I would be very concerned.

Plastic "heat sink"/outer case--I would be worried about fire if there is insufficient heat sinking internally (but you probably don't know unless you take it apart--Which they will void the warranty for).

The Amazon reviews are mixed (and a few are dangerously uninformed:roll:):

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-11260-2500-Watt-Inverter/dp/B0010X5KPG

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Plastic case...??? even the smallest of my MSW inverters, 600W and 170W, 12 v both, have METAL cases and lots of metal fins on the side and fans that seldom if ever come on when pushed to their limits... I'd trade it in for a metal one IIWY

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately inverters are in class of their own when it comes to "get what you pay". Many of us have learned the hard way, that a decent brand name UL listed inverter is the right way to go, even if it does cost a little more.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• SkinnyCow
    SkinnyCow Registered Users Posts: 10

Return the Sunforce as soon as you can. I bought the 1000W model and it had the same problem (inverter was warm to the touch and idle power consumption was high-I didn't hear any noise in my unit though). The most dangerous things is that Sunforce is not grounded properly or no grounding at all. I plugged in my surge protector with grounding detector and it could not see any grounding from the Sunforce. I plugged the detector into the Xantrex and my wall outlet and grounding was detected. Nothing good from Sunforce inverter. Your 4 outlets inverter will probably support 2500w/4 max load on one single outlet if all four are plugged in. That was true to the unit I bought: 1000w/2 outlets = 500w per outlet.

On other thing I noticed was at one point, the inverter shut off automatically while I only had one light plugged in. This can't be good no matter what.
  • hermit
    hermit Solar Expert Posts: 25

I initially read about this inverter via Amazon.ca which has 2 reviews, other reviewers mostly liked the product until I read Amazon.com after purchasing. Now after reading the 65 reviews at Amazon.com and your folks input I will be returning this unit to Costco. In my neck of the woods Alberta Canada it seems like no one takes solar seriously, almost all products Ive purchased are drop ship ordered and it takes 2 to 3 months delivery time and the selection is limited to 1 name brand from each company. If only there was a local corner store with a wide selection and everything in stock (oh that would be called heaven) As this is used only on weekends that is why I took the chance on a lower priced inverter ($500) my biggest load would be the coffee pot, 98% of the time the load would be under 300 Watts. Looks like I will have to order a higher quality inverter. Any off the hip suggestions under $800. Thanks.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

look into Cotek http://www.cotek.ca/

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • SkinnyCow

The Xantrex proWatt 2000 is very good. I bought it to replace the Sunforce. It's quiet, solid construction and doesn't use much power in idle. I plan to buy another Xantrex. This authorized dealer has the best deal but I'm not sure if they'll ship to Canada. You can call them and arrange it. http://www.donrowe.com/Xantrex-806-1220-PROwatt-SW-2000-p/806-1220.htm
  • msgieser
    msgieser Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭

skinnycow..ok i want to look at that xantrex prowatt 2000 that you used to replace the Sunforce. Did you get the positive ground just by hooking up the 12 volt battery bank to it? Did you have to run a ground from it to a ground rod? Any help you can give me is much appreciated as I am having the same problem with my Sunforce 2500 (just installed it...brand new)..no ground back to my house outlets. Thanks!!!!
  • SkinnyCow
    msgieser wrote: »
    skinnycow..ok i want to look at that xantrex prowatt 2000 that you used to replace the Sunforce. Did you get the positive ground just by hooking up the 12 volt battery bank to it? Did you have to run a ground from it to a ground rod? Any help you can give me is much appreciated as I am having the same problem with my Sunforce 2500 (just installed it...brand new)..no ground back to my house outlets. Thanks!!!!

I also use the 12V battery bank. I ground from its back "Ground" port to my house electrical outlet. I bought a two foot solid copper wire and the 3 prongs plug from Homedepot to make the grounding wire.