wiring diagram confusion. Shunt location?

Options
I am a little perplexed on the correct way to wire up my new system. If I only had one battery bank, and the PV module were the only source of charging then I'd have no problem in following the diagram, but this is far from the case.

I've got a Kyocera 130 tm.
I've got a Blue Sky 2512i mppt controller.
I've got an IPN Pro Remote.
I've got a Deltec 500a/50mv shunt.
Everything is still in the box while I remodel the interior.

I plan on installing this system in my 1989 dodge CamperVan. In this vehicle, the voltage regulator for the charging system is inside the engine computer. I have an Autolite 120 amp alternator(I know, I know). Currently I have my starting battery in the stock location under the hood. I have the house battery bank (2 group 27 12v in parallel, 110 ah each) located about equidistant between the wheels, under the floor with a lift out panel for maintenance. I have a boat battery switch (1 ,2 ,BOTH, OFF) wired between the batteries with 2 awg wire. The house batteries also are grounded directly to the starter battery with 2 awg. The starter battery is then grounded to the frame and engine. Every electrical component not directly related to the stock Van wiring is hardwired to the house batteries through a fuse panel.

This PV free system has worked great as long as I remember to isolate the starting battery when I plan to park it and live off the house batteries. If I don't drain the house batteries below say 12.2 volts I will turn my battery switch to both after the engine has fully warmed up and the starter battery is topped off. Once I burned out the alternator when I forgot to isolate the starter battery. If the batteries fall below 12.2 or so, they stay that way until I can plug in an AC charger.

If my house batteries are above 12.2v I almost always drive with the switch to both, to keep them topped off. I recently bought a 2.5 amp dc refrigerator, and the whole PV system to power it, and I definitly plan on driving with the Battery switch to BOTH, as long as the house bank isn't depleted.

My confusion on the wiring related mostly to the placement of the shunt. Ideally I'd like to have it wired close to all my house battery bank and wiring, which is about 2 feet away from the house fuse panel, Battery switch, inverter, and near where I plan to mount my charge controller and IPN remote display.

Will I have any problems wiring the shunt inbetween the house battery ground and the starter battery ground?

Should the shunt be on the other side of the starter battery, in between the starter battery and the ignition/ alternator?
Studying the wiring diagram, with the shunt located between the negative battery terminal and "All loads and other charging sources", It appears as though the IPN Pro Remote will see the charging current from the alternator. Is this correct?

Will it read and display the current from the alternator?

Another area of confusion in the directions concerns the statement:
"No current carrying conductors other than the shunt cable may be connected to the battery negative."

What about the alternator and starter(wired directly to the starter battery), and all that stock wiring such as the engine and frame ground? Must all these be wired to run through the shunt?

I'm wondering if this IPN pro remote display is even compatible with an RV.

Any input on these questions or statements is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: wiring diagram confusion. Shunt location?

In short, the shunt goes literally between the house battery bank negative terminal and everything else: chassis common, controller common, etc. The battery monitor measures the shunt's small voltage drop and polarity to determine how much current is flowing into or out of the batteries.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks for the info Jim.
    I guess I'll find out soon enough, but do you know if the battery monitor will display the alternator amperage?
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Located as suggested, the shunt's meter will accurately display alternator current only if all current from the alternator is flowing into the house batteries. You'll need a separate shunt & meter, with the shunt located between the alternator and everything else, in order to usefully monitor the alternator's operation.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks again.
    It will be interesting to see, even if inaccurately, how much juice is getting to the house bank from the alternator. And the effects of the battery switch and loads upon the house bank.

My only methods before were testing the voltage and guestimating how much capacity remained from that.
    Wish I could afford an alternator designed for deep cycle batteries.