Mercedes-Benz’ insane new SUV concept is a giant solar panel

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
German car manufacturer Mercedes-Benz has debuted a new concept for a hydrogen-powered SUV, and it’s pretty crazy. The Vision G-Code is as striking as any concept, with a squat profile and space-age interior, but it’s not the car’s looks that are interesting here: it’s the...

••• read more at SolarFeeds.com ••• solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=rY7aCVOGLGI:Y9lV0eIpsz4:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=rY7aCVOGLGI:Y9lV0eIpsz4:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
rY7aCVOGLGI

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Mercedes-Benz’ insane new SUV concept is a giant solar panel

That electrostatic paint, in particular, qualifies the concept as insane.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

My first thought after seeing/reading is 'what happens to the PV output if it is 'Keyed' (severely scratched)'? Similar to PV with shade issues? or Just NO output?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • E_Fellow
    E_Fellow Registered Users Posts: 3

When the G-Code is stationary, its "multi-voltaic" paint generates electricity in a number of ways. It acts like a giant solar cell, turning the sun's energy into electricity, and also charges electrostatically, harnessing the power of the wind.

I wonder how efficient the paint is at generating electricity from the sun or wind. Could be interesting for other uses as well, though it is probably still quite expensive.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Ya, that's what we need. A reputable manufacturer coming out with bizarre, impractical solar wierdness.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

solar house paint....?? http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s3008638.htm

electrostatic painting / coating

comment here:http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/03/mercedes-vision-g-code-concept-beijing/#aol-comments

The sources of power include; the standard plug-in technology, regenerative braking, suspension system, electrostatic energy harnessed from the wind and the newly dubbed multi-voltaic silver paint job.

The analysis of the Multi-Voltaic Silver paint job is not available because this was a concept press release. But with this concept, Mercedes could be capitalizing on under-utilized space and energy.

I wonder how much electricity the paint can produce per sq. inch.?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

Not much... Unless there is a direct lightning strike--Then lots of energy (for fractions of a second).

I was more thinking of "keying the car"--That could get interesting with charged panels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset