Solar pump needed advice.

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi!
Well casing = 6"
Depth well = 104'
Pump will be at 80' deep
I need to pump water ( no pressure needed) in a open bassin just beside the well ( 15').
I want to pump approx 8 gpm.
I need the system approx 2 months a year ( july-august).
I need all the kit : pump, controler, solar panels, etc...
What you suggest?
Ready to buy.

Thanks for your help.

Wilma

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar pump needed advice.

wilma,
    firstly, know that i'm not a pump expert, but you need to indicate if the water is needed to pump only during sunny periods(where?) or 24/7. if 24/7 there is a problem with solar fitting the bill without being extremely costly.
    in general you will need a pump that can pump 8 gpm up at about 100ft of height. again, i'm no expert with pumps, but this seems to be a tall order for pumping(no pun intended) in looking over the specs for pomps from our host, northern arizona wind & sun. once a pump that meets the pumping requirements is known the rest will fall into place as it can be figured from that pump's power requirements. this will be somewhat costly compared to utility powered pumping as you can see the costs of the pvs at their store also.
    link to pvs: http://store.solar-electric.com/hiposopa.html
    link to pumps: http://store.solar-electric.com/sodcwapu.html
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

8gpm is 11,520 gallons per 24 hour day.

If 6 hours of solar per day (assuming direct solar panels, no batteries/etc.) that would be 2,880 gallons per day...

Normally with solar/wind/etc., you get a smaller pump and pump for a long time versus the standard AC Mains connected system needing a large pump running a few minutes at a time to support demand.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi!
    I need only to pump water on sunny days and not for 24 hours.
    Please advice me to the right system.
    Thanks!
    Wilma
  • BB.

Are you in the US / near Arizona? Wind-Sun does sell pumps and can give you quotes for the system you want.

My question is how much are you willing to spend?

Generally, solar is most cost effective when it is use 365 days per year... Using it only two months out of the year leaves the panels "gathering" dust for 10 months of the year--making the electricity about 6x as expensive compared with a year round use system.

Using a fuel powered pump (gas, diesel, etc.) for two months of the year may, overall, cost much less to operate over time (of course--depends on your needs).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I will try to explain better.

We need solar pumping about 2 months, july and august ( if no rain or just a little bit).
    June and september also if no rain.
    Solar is the better for us.
    No electricity available at the site and we dont want gas generator to make electricity for a water pump.
    We are located at latitude 47,57 and longitude 69,76 in canada.
    I saw you have international shipping.
    Thanks for your help.
    Wilma
  • BB.

Actually, none of us here work for Wind-Sun... (other than the one guy named "Wind-Sun" who runs this board).

It would be better to contact Wind-Sun by phone or email directly as they don't monitor this solar discussion board everyday.

Their Internet Store Front is here:

http://store.solar-electric.com/

Their water pumping information is here:

http://store.solar-electric.com/sodcwapu.html

I am not a solar pump person... But as a first guess you are looking at ~400-500 watts of solar panels (~$2,500 USD worth of solar panels) to pump ~3,000 gallons per day for summer and 90' head with a good quality pump... (just a first guess to see if this is within your budget). Obviously, controllers, pump, and other items are needed to get the system working.

Wind-Sun can better help you with sizing your system and even write a a detailed quote for you... Or you can try going to the www.grundfos.com website and use their online-design system and see if it helps you better nail your system design.

It is possible that Wind-Sun may not be able to sell you some items as they may have distribution agreements with their suppliers--again Wind-Sun would be best to contact directly.

-Bill